Pedro Mario Álvarez
Mario as a Betis player in 2011
|Full name||Pedro Mario Álvarez Abrante|
|Date of birth||2 February 1982|
|Place of birth||Tenerife, Spain|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|BEC Tero Sasana|
|1999–2000||Atlético Madrid C|
|2000–2001||Atlético Madrid B||28||(0)|
|2003–2004||→ Barcelona (loan)||1||(0)|
|2017–||BEC Tero Sasana||8||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23 April 2017.
Born in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands, Mario started his senior career with Atlético Madrid, but could only represent its C and B-teams. In the 2001 summer he signed for Real Valladolid, making his La Liga debut in the 2001–02 season, playing in 17 games and repeating the feat in the following campaign, still in the top flight.
In 2003–04, Mario was loaned to FC Barcelona, appearing only once for the Catalans officially, in an infamous 1–5 away defeat against Málaga CF on 3 December 2003. As Valladolid was relegated in June he returned to the Castile and León club for two further seasons, both spent in Segunda División.
Mario joined Recreativo de Huelva in 2006, being an important defensive element as the Andalusian side finished eighth in the top level, while scoring his fourth goal as a professional on 5 November 2006 in a last minute 2–1 home win over Gimnàstic de Tarragona.
For the 2007–08 season, Mario signed with Getafe CF, being an undisputed starter in his second year but appearing rarely in the following campaigns, due to constant injuries. His first appearance in 2010–11 – one of just three – only took place on 10 May 2011, in a 0–4 away loss against Real Madrid.
Mario also spent extended periods on the sidelines with his following team, Real Betis, with which he signed as a free agent in June 2011. He scored his first and only goal for the Verdiblancos on 24 February 2013 in a 3–0 home win over Málaga, but his team was eventually relegated and he left.
- Muangthong United
- Spain U16
- El Málaga deja en coma al Barcelona antes del clásico (Málaga leaves Barcelona in a coma before clásico); El Mundo, 4 December 2003 (in Spanish)
- Recreativo Huelva 2–1 Gimnastic de Tarragona; ESPN Soccernet, 5 November 2006
- Getafe get Mario from Recreativo; UEFA.com, 18 July 2007
- Mario se despide de la temporada por lesión (Mario says goodbye to season due to injury); Diario AS, 2 October 2010 (in Spanish)
- Mario: "La lesión ha sido lo peor que he tenido en mi vida" (Mario: "The injury has been the worst that has happened in my life"); Marca, 9 March 2011 (in Spanish)
- Madrid make Barca wait; ESPN Soccernet, 10 May 2011
- Ex jugador del Valladolid Mario (Getafe) ficha por el Betis (Ex-Valladolid player Mario (Getafe) signs with Betis); ABC, 8 June 2011 (in Spanish)
- Mario vuelve a entrenarse con el resto del grupo (Mario returns to group training); Al Final de la Palmera, 6 November 2012 (in Spanish)
- Mario se fractura el tercio medio de la clavícula (Mario fractures collarbone medial end); Marca, 13 July 2012 (in Spanish)
- Betis 3–0 Málaga: Reencuentro a lo grande con el gol (Betis 3–0 Málaga: Rediscovering scoring ways big time); Goal.com, 24 February 2013 (in Spanish)
- "Mario firma dos años por el FC Bakú de Azerbaiyán" [Mario signs for two years with Azerbaijan's Baku] (in Spanish). Marca. 30 July 2013. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- "Mario Álvarez, nuevo jugador del Real Zaragoza" [Mario Álvarez, new player of Real Zaragoza] (in Spanish). Real Zaragoza. 14 August 2014. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- Insawang, Arwatchanon (8 March 2016). "Muangthong United signs former Barcelona defender Mario Abrante". Football Channel Asia. Retrieved 8 March 2016.