Pedro Nel Gómez
|Pedro Nel Gómez Agudelo|
Self portrait, 1949 oil on canvas 95,5 x 72 cm
4 July 1899|
Anorí, Antioquia, Colombia
|Died||6 June 1984
Medellín, Antioquia, Colombia
|Alma mater||Faculty of Minas|
|Movement||Mexican Mural Movement|
|Spouse(s)||Giuliana Scalaberni (1927—1964)|
Pedro Nel Gómez Agudelo (4 July 1899 — 6 June 1984) was a Colombian engineer, painter, and sculptor, best known for his work as a muralist, and for starting, along with Santiago Martinez Delgado, the Colombian Muralist Movement, inspired by the Mexican movement that drew on nationalistic, social, and political messages as subjects.
Pedro Nel was born on 4 July 1899 in Anorí, Antioquia, to Jesús Gómez González and María Luisa Agudelo Garcés. He attended the Academia de Bellas Artes de Medellín, where he completed his secondary studies in 1917, he then attended College of Mines of Medellín where he graduated in Civil Engineering in 1922. In 1925 he travels to Europe and settles in Florence, Italy, where he attended the Accademia di Belle Arti di Firenze. While in Italy he meets his future wife, and mother of his eight children, the Florentine Giuliana Scalaberni. In 1930 he returns to Colombia, and becomes Director and professor of the Academia de Bellas Artes de Medellín.
- Baker, Christopher Paul (2012). "Culture & Arts". National Geographic Traveler Colombia. Washington, D.C.: National Geographic. p. 49. ISBN 9781426209505. OCLC 769428827. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- Sullivan, Edward (2000). Latin American Art. London: Phaidon Press. ISBN 9780714839806. OCLC 318236357.
- Escobar Calle, Miguel. "Pedro Nel Gómez: Cronología de un Período" (PDF). Universidad de Antioquia. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- Bedoya de Flórez, Fabiola; Estrada Betancur, David Fernando (2003). Pedro Nel Gómez: Muralista (in Spanish). Medellín, ANT: Editorial Universidad de Antioquia. ISBN 9789586555784. OCLC 250284235.
- Arango Gómez, Diego León; Fernández Uribe, Carlos Arturo (2006). Pedro Nel Gómez: Acuarelista (in Spanish). Medellín, ANT: Editorial Universidad de Antioquia. ISBN 9789586558457. OCLC 174958556.
- Arango Gómez, Diego León; Fernández Uribe, Carlos Arturo (2007). Pedro Nel Gómez: Escultor (in Spanish). Medellín, ANT: Editorial Universidad de Antioquia. ISBN 9789586558464. OCLC 300525522.
|This article about a Colombian painter is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|