View from Parunthumpara in Peerumedu
|• Body||Peerumedu panchayath|
|• Total||114.75 km2 (44.31 sq mi)|
|• Density||220/km2 (580/sq mi)|
|• Others||Tamil and English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Peermade, also spelt Peerumedu is a hill station in the state of Kerala, India. It lies 915 metres (3,002 ft) above sea level in the Western Ghats (Sahyadri) some 85 kilometres (53 mi) east of Kottayam on the way to Thekkady through the nearby city of Kanjirappally.
The landscape of Peermade includes spectacular waterfalls, open grass lands and pine forests. Predominantly it is classified as Malanad with an elevation ranging from 3,000 ft (910 m) from the mean sea level.
Peermade was once the summer retreat of the Maharajas of Travancore. Once these regions were quite unaccessible which were covered by dense forests and was inhabited by certain tribes like 'Malappandarams' and 'Malayarans'. The archaeological excavations points out that there was an ancient Neolithic culture flourished in the high-ranges which wasn't written or recorded. But the findings of cultural remnants from the hill tracks near Kumily and Vandiperiyar provides some factual evidences of the existence of a rich culture.
The area is extremely fertile and until recently featured lush plantations of coffee, tea, cardamon, and coconut. With a long history of spice growing, the focus is now on the production of organic black pepper, white pepper, ginger and turmeric.
At a 2006 show, spice growers from Peermade displayed samples of organically grown spices including cardamom, black pepper, white pepper, nutmeg, mace, cloves, turmeric, ginger, vanilla beans, vanilla powder and herbs such as oregano, sage, thyme and rosemary. Oils of thyme and rosemary were also displayed.
Mar Baselios Christian College of Engineering and Technology and Marian College are located at Kuttikanam in Peermade.
- http://old.kerala.gov.in/kercaljan06/p38-41.pdf A Heaven away from Heaven / George Thengummoottil / PRD, Government of Kerala
- George, Thengummootil (10 January 2014). Peermade. Kerala: George Thengummootil.
- http://www.theindia.info/peermade/ Story of Tea Plantation in Kerala / George Thengummoottil
- "A bitter brew in the high ranges". Retrieved 2006-09-20.
- "Mapping India's spice route from past to present". Retrieved 2006-09-20.
- "Organic Show - Peermede Development Board's stand". Archived from the original on 2006-10-15. Retrieved 2006-09-20.
- http://www.mbcpeermade.com Mar Baselios Christian College of Engineering and Technology website
- http://www.mariancollege.org Marian College Kuttikanam
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies" (PDF). Kerala. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-03-04. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
- The Story of Peermade by George Thengummoottil (ISBN 9788192888606) http://www.theindia.info/Peermade/
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peermade.|
- "History of Peermade". The India. 2006-06-24. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- "Hartal total in Peerumade". The Hindu. 2008-06-24. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- "History of Peermade". The India. 2008-06-24. Retrieved 2008-07-20.