This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Created in 2002 to create broad based access to high yield arts programs, Pegasus ArtWorks provides direct access for at risk youth to high quality arts programs. The classes are taught through structured artist in residence programming, and include fine and performing arts as well as art/craft (such as quilting). Classes utilize the arts to teach literary proficiency, reading, mathematical, scientific, and cultural understanding in a contextualized manner. The arts are also utilized to teach leadership, teamwork, build self-confidence and expose youth to critical thinking skills.
Pegasus ArtWorks was named a "Notable Local Initiative" in 2010 by educational initiatives The Finance Project and ICF International. Inc
Pegasus ArtWorks was highlighted by the Delaware Division of Arts for Excellence in Arts Education in 2012. This included a short documentary piece on Content Delaware, a non-commercial project highlighting arts and culture in Delaware.
Programs include, visual art, mural arts, drumming, dance and music. Curriculum is developed in partnership with teaching artists to fit the needs of the youth. The innovative Beat the Odds Curriculum from UCLA Arts and Healing program has been implemented to teach emotional skill building.
Pegasus ArtWorks is funded through the Delaware Division of the Arts, and was the first art program to be funded by the CJC (Criminal Justice Council). Pegasus ArtWorks also performs programming in BGCDE through OJP Funding, 21st Century Grant Funding and through the efforts of private donors.
The Pegasus ArtWorks Program is administered through the Boys and Girls Clubs of Delaware. Patti Nelson is the Director. Teaching artists include; Alex Spinney, Michael Brown, Jane Chesson, Nicole Luther, Dennis Minus, and Josh Shockley.
- Lamar, Andre (2011-10-17). "Greater Clayton Smyrna Boys and Girls Club's youth 'rock' out". Smyrna/Clayton Sun-Times. Smyrna, DE: Scsuntimes.com. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- "Cape Gazette". Retrieved 4 Sep 2012.
- "Boys & Girls Club gears up for school year". The Daily Times. delmarvanow.com. 2012-08-28. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- State and Territory Afterschool Profiles: Delaware (PDF). Afterschool Investments. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- "Celebrating Arts Education". Delaware Division of the Arts. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- "Now Playing: Pegasus ArtWorks". Content Delaware. 2012-07-15. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- "UCLArts and Healing". UCLArts and Healing. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- Elter, Geraldine (2006-11-23). "Budding artists". The News Journal. Wilmington, Delaware: Pqasb.pqarchiver.com. p. BR.16. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- "Delaware Division of the Arts Grant Awards: FY2013" (PDF). Delaware Division of the Arts. July 26, 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-01.