|Norma Jean Calderwood Director of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum|
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Anne Hawley|
|Alma mater||Johns Hopkins University, Brown University|
Peggy Fogelman is the Norma Jean Calderwood Director of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston, Massachusetts. Fogelman has served in this role since January 2016, after Anne Hawley stepped down after 26 years as director of the museum, and she is the museum's fifth director.
A Connecticut native, Fogelman received a bachelor's degree from Johns Hopkins University in Art History, Criticism and Conversation, and a master's degree from Brown University in Art History. She began her career at the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles, California as a sculpture curator and stayed at the museum for 20 years, later transitioning to the museum's Assistant Director for Education and Interpretation. In 2007, she moved to Massachusetts to serve as the Director of Education and Interpretation at the Peabody Essex Museum. Two years later, she moved to New York City after being hired as the Chairman of Education at the Metropolitan Museum of Art where she spent four years. Next, she served for a year as the Acting Director of the Morgan Library & Museum also in New York City and then as Director of Collections. As Director of Collections at the Morgan, she oversaw the museum's curatorial department, conservation department, and exhibition program. Like the Isabella Stewart Gardner, the Morgan began as a private art collection. In late 2015, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum named Fogelman as their new director after an eight-month search.
Fogelman's longtime partner, John D. Childs, is the Chief of Collection Services and the Director of the Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Massachusetts and was previously the Head of Conservation at the National September 11 Memorial & Museum in New York City.
- "PEGGY FOGELMAN". Boston Magazine.
- Freeman, Nate (2015-10-27). "Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum Names Peggy Fogelman Director". ARTnews. Retrieved 2019-07-08.
- "Meet The New Director Of The Gardner Museum". www.wbur.org. Retrieved 2019-07-08.
- Gay, Malcolm (October 27, 2015). "Gardner Museum names Peggy Fogelman as its new director". The Boston Globe.
- "Gardner Museum Appoints a New Director". Boston Magazine. 2015-10-27. Retrieved 2019-07-08.
- "Executive Leadership Team". Peabody Essex Museum.