|Pegi Morton Young|
December 1, 1952 |
San Mateo, California, United States
|Genres||Folk rock, country music, jazz|
|Labels||Vapor /Warner Bros.|
|Associated acts||Neil Young, The Survivors|
Pegi Morton Young; (born December 1, 1952), is an American singer-songwriter, environmentalist, educator and philanthropist. She lives in Northern California with her husband, Neil Young, with whom she has one step-son, Zeke Young, and two biological children, Ben Young and Amber Young. Pegi's debut as a musician came in 1994 when she appeared at the Academy Awards, singing backup on the song "Philadelphia," composed by her husband.
In 2000, Young joined her husband on tour as a backup singer. In 2007, after recording songs in her home studio at the Broken Arrow Ranch, she released her self-titled debut album. Since then, she has created two additional albums, Foul Deeds (2010), and Bracing for Impact (2011), and has toured and performed with her band The Survivors, which includes Spooner Oldham on piano, Rick Rosas on bass, Kelvin Holly on guitar and drummer Phil Jones, who replaced their original drummer Ben Keith after he passed away in 2010.
Young was inspired to create The Bridge School based on her experiences with her son Ben, who was born with cerebral palsy, a congenital disease which, for Ben, resulted in severe speech difficulties and motor impairment. Pegi and her husband have said they searched for educational institutions tailored for children with physical and learning impairments like Ben’s, but were frustrated to find that none really existed.
Pegi Young founded The Bridge School with additional help from Jim Forderer, a fellow parent of a child with specialized educational needs, and Dr. Marilyn Buzolich. Pegi and Neil raised awareness for their newly founded school with their Bridge School Benefit Concert, which has continued annually to this day and has brought in musicians such as Arcade Fire, Mumford & Sons, Tony Bennett, Lucinda Williams, and Jack White. Since 1986, The Bridge School has continued to grow and evolve organically into an internationally recognized organization. Graduates from The Bridge School have often returned to their home school districts and continued their education once their rudimentary educational needs were met in the Bridge School’s more specialized setting.
Young has served in the capacity of Executive Director of The Bridge School for seven years, and has also served as President of the Board of Directors since its inception in 1986. She also has continued to organize and host the Bridge School Benefit concert every year since its 1986 debut.
Young serves on the board of A.R.T. (Artistic Realization Technologies), an organization dedicated to bringing avenues for creative expression through art into the lives of individuals with severe disabilities. She is also on the Advisory Board of the “virtual” AAC-RERC  and on the Advisory Council for Lemelson Assistive Technology and Design Center on the campus of Hampshire College.
Young has served for four years on the board of the Alliance for Technology Access, a grassroots organization of 43 community based centers around the country serving individuals with disabilities, aimed at increasing their independence through the use of technology.
Young has performed at and hosted Farm Aid with her husband in 2007 and in 2012, and, in 2013, began serving on the Board of Directors of Rainforest Connection, an organization aimed at preventing deforestation by using real-time data collection to maximize the effectiveness of ground enforcement prevention of poaching.
Induction into the San Mateo County Women’s Hall of Fame, 1995 
- "Pegi Young Unknown Legend (2007-9-10)".
- "Pegi Young Is Just Tuning Up (2013-3-17)".
- "Foul Deeds (2010-6-21)".
- "Neil Young Comes Clean (2012-9-19)".
- "The Bridge School".
- "Rock The Vote Awards(1999-2-24)".
- "Pegi Young Talks Bridge School Benefit Video (2012-9-14)".
- "Pegi Young Talks New Album (2012-9-19)".
- "Bridge School Benefit Concert(1999-2-24)".
- "Bridge School Today".
- "Pegi and Neil Young's Concert for the Bridge School (2013-5-31)".
- "A.R.T. provides creative tools for disabled".
- "Rock Star Gives VIP Treatment to Hampshire College Student Inventors (2004-3-11)".
- "Helping Organizations Make their Communications Available to the Disabled (2004-2-4)".
- "Farm Aid Coming to Hershey, PA (2012-7-9)".
- "Sugar Mountain Neil Young Set Lists".
- "Old smartphones called in to save Indonesian forests (2013-6-5)".
- "'Rainforest Connection' Aims To Use Cell Phones To Stop Deforestation (2013-6-10)".
- "San Mateo County Women's Hall of Fame".
- "Neil Receives Patrick Lippert Award from the Rock The Vote Organization".
- "History of Rock the Vote".