Pei Wei Asian Diner
Scottsdale, Arizona, U.S.
|Headquarters||Scottsdale, Arizona, U.S.|
Number of locations
|United States, Kuwait, UAE|
|Products||Asian American cuisine|
|Owner||P. F. Chang's China Bistro|
Pei Wei Asian Diner / / is a restaurant chain in the United States. All of Pei Wei's dishes are made to order and offer customization. Pei Wei has 190 locations in the US and 2 international locations.
Pei Wei offers different menu items and a different dining atmosphere than its parent company, P.F. Chang's. Pei Wei features a counter service, coffee bar, where guests order from a cashier, and the food is brought out to the table, a style known in the industry as fast casual. Pei Wei has a designated door in the restaurant for cashiers to offer take away food orders.
The restaurant chain was created in 2000 by P. F. Chang's China Bistro to compete in the fast growing fast casual restaurant segment while P. F. Chang's remained in the high-end full service restaurant segment. First location was opened in Scottsdale in 2000. By 2010, the company had 168 locations, mostly in California, Texas, Arizona and Florida, and a growing presence in the Northeast and Midwest.
On July 2, 2012, P.F. Chang’s China Bistro, Inc. was acquired by Centerbridge Partners, L.P. Centerbridge completed a tender offer making P. F. Chang's China Bistro an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary of Wok Parent L.L.C. It is currently headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona.
In 2011, Pei Wei announced an agreement with Alsea to open franchise locations in Mexico. The first location in Mexico opened in 2012. Unfortunately, the locations in Mexico did not perform very well so all locations were closed by the end of 2014. All three locations were in Mexico City.
In August 2012, Pei Wei opened its first location in Kuwait. The franchise is operated by M.H. Alshaya Co.. The same franchisee open the first location in Dubai, U.A.E. in April 2013. By the end of 2014, a second location was opened in Kuwait plus two additional locations in Dubai to make a total of five in the Middle East by the end of that year.
- Tamaki, Julie (2004-09-06). "Far East Restaurant Battle Heating Up on West Coast: Asian chains are competing to dominate the Southland market and growing in spite of obstacles". Los Angeles Times.
- Gasparro, Annie (2012-05-01). "P.F. Chang's China Bistro Taken Private for $1.1 Billion". Wall Street Journal.
- York, Emily Bryson (2010-08-18). "P.F. Chang's Pei Wei arrives in Chicago: Other fast-casual chains continue to grow". Chicago Tribune.
- "Centerbridge completes tender offer for P.F. Chang’s". Food Business news. 2012-07-02.
- Rusli, Evelyn M. (2012-05-01). "Centerbridge Buys P.F. Chang’s for $1.1 Billion". New York Times.
- "PFCB Corporate Overview". P. F. Chang's China Bistro.
- "P.F. Chang's Announces International Expansion of Pei Wei Asian Diner: Enters into Agreement with Alsea to Develop Pei Wei Restaurants Throughout Mexico". Business Wire (Press release). October 17, 2011.
- Santa Rita, Ilse (February 12, 2015). "Mexicanos 'le hacen fuchi' a Pei Wei y cierra restaurantes: La cadena de comida asiática cerró sus dos últimas unidades en el último trimestre de 2014; Alsea, su propietario en México, dice que la cadena no cumplió con las expectativas.". CNN (in Spanish).
- Pallares Gómez, Miguel Ángel (February 16, 2015). "Alsea cierra tres establecimientos Pei Wei por rentabilidad". El Universal (Mexico City) (in Spanish).
- "Pei Wei opens in Kuwait: Kuwait opening marks the second internatonal location for the brand outside of the U.S. and the first in the Gulf region". M.H. Alshaya Co. (Press release). 2012-08-27.
- "Dubai Marina Walk gets a taste of Asia at P.F. Chang’s Pei Wei Asian Diner". Gulf News. April 5, 2013.
- "The Fresher 'Wei': Bazaar Goes Dining: Pei Wei with a new location in Arabella, amazing view meets incredibly fresh cuisine.". Bazaar Magazine. January 2015.
With its second location having recently opened in Arabella, Pei Wei is slowly but surely becoming a culinary focal point in Kuwait.
- Armani, Geordie (December 23, 2014). "Pei Wei by PF Changs". The Real Geordie Armani.
Pei Wei are open at three different locations; City Walk, Al Thanya Street and Marina Walk.
- Pei Wei Asian Diner official website
- Ruggless, Ron (February 7, 2000). "P.F. Chang's readying Pei Wei's fast-casual offshoot". Nation's Restaurant News. (subscription required (. ))
|This Arizona-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|