Pei Wei Asian Diner
|Headquarters||Scottsdale, Arizona, United States|
Number of locations
|United States, Kuwait, UAE|
|Products||Asian American cuisine|
|Owner||P. F. Chang's China Bistro|
Pei Wei Asian Diner / / is a restaurant chain in the United States. All of Pei Wei's dishes are made to order and offer customization. Pei Wei has 190 locations in the US and 5 international locations.
Pei Wei offers different menu items and a different dining atmosphere than its parent company, P.F. Chang's. Pei Wei features a counter service, coffee bar, where guests order from a cashier, and the food is brought out to the table, a style known in the industry as fast casual. Pei Wei has a designated door in the restaurant for cashiers to offer take away food orders.
The restaurant chain was created in 2000 by P. F. Chang's China Bistro to compete in the fast-growing fast casual restaurant segment while P. F. Chang's remained in the full-service restaurant segment. The first location was opened in Scottsdale in 2000. By 2010, the company had 168 locations, mostly in California, Texas, Arizona and Florida, and a growing presence in the Northeast and Midwest.
On July 2, 2012, P.F. Chang’s China Bistro, Inc. was acquired by Centerbridge Partners, making P. F. Chang's China Bistro an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary of Wok Parent L.L.C. It is currently headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona.
In July 2015, the company started a customer loyalty program in which customers accumulate points during each visit that could be used in redemption of free food.
During 2016, Pei Wei quietly withdrew from several states. As required under Ohio law, the company notified the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services on May 24 that the company was closing all of its facilities and laying off all of its affected workers within the state the following week. A month later, the company also closed all of their locations within the state of Louisiana. Employees and customers were given little or no warning of these planned closures.
In 2011, Pei Wei announced an agreement with Alsea to open franchise locations in Mexico. The first location in Mexico opened in 2012. The locations in Mexico did not perform well, and all locations were closed by the end of 2014. All three locations were in Mexico City.
In August 2012, Pei Wei opened its first location in Kuwait. The franchise is operated by M.H. Alshaya Co.. The same franchisee open the first location in Dubai, U.A.E. in April 2013. By the end of 2014, a second location was opened in Kuwait plus two additional locations in Dubai to make a total of five in the Middle East by the end of that year.
- Tamaki, Julie (2004-09-06). "Far East Restaurant Battle Heating Up on West Coast: Asian chains are competing to dominate the Southland market and growing in spite of obstacles". Los Angeles Times.
- Gasparro, Annie (2012-05-01). "P.F. Chang's China Bistro Taken Private for $1.1 Billion". Wall Street Journal.
- York, Emily Bryson (2010-08-18). "P.F. Chang's Pei Wei arrives in Chicago: Other fast-casual chains continue to grow". Chicago Tribune.
- "Centerbridge completes tender offer for P.F. Chang’s". Food Business news. 2012-07-02.
- Rusli, Evelyn M. (2012-05-01). "Centerbridge Buys P.F. Chang’s for $1.1 Billion". New York Times.
- "PFCB Corporate Overview". P. F. Chang's China Bistro.
- "Pei Wei Rewards Diners with New My Wei Rewards Program: Diners earn free entrées simply for enjoying the bold, fresh flavors they love". Business Wire (Press release). 2015-05-06.
- Adler, Angie. "Official notification to the state of Ohio of closures and lay offs". Pei Wei – via Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.
- "Pei Wei quietly shutters all Louisiana restaurants". WOIO. June 28, 2016.
- Nobles III, Wilborn P. (June 28, 2016). "Pei Wei closing all its Louisiana restaurants, magazine says". Times-Picayune.
- "P.F. Chang's Announces International Expansion of Pei Wei Asian Diner: Enters into Agreement with Alsea to Develop Pei Wei Restaurants Throughout Mexico". Business Wire (Press release). 2011-10-17.
- Santa Rita, Ilse (2015-02-12). "Mexicanos 'le hacen fuchi' a Pei Wei y cierra restaurantes: La cadena de comida asiática cerró sus dos últimas unidades en el último trimestre de 2014; Alsea, su propietario en México, dice que la cadena no cumplió con las expectativas.". CNN (in Spanish).
- Pallares Gómez, Miguel Ángel (2015-02-16). "Alsea cierra tres establecimientos Pei Wei por rentabilidad". El Universal (Mexico City) (in Spanish).
- "Pei Wei opens in Kuwait: Kuwait opening marks the second international location for the brand outside of the U.S. and the first in the Gulf region". M.H. Alshaya Co. (Press release). 2012-08-27.
- "Dubai Marina Walk gets a taste of Asia at P.F. Chang’s Pei Wei Asian Diner". Gulf News. 2013-04-05.
- "The Fresher 'Wei': Bazaar Goes Dining: Pei Wei with a new location in Arabella, amazing view meets incredibly fresh cuisine.". Bazaar Magazine. January 2015.
With its second location having recently opened in Arabella, Pei Wei is slowly but surely becoming a culinary focal point in Kuwait.
- Armani, Geordie (2014-12-23). "Pei Wei by PF Changs". The Real Geordie Armani.
Pei Wei are open at three different locations; City Walk, Al Thanya Street and Marina Walk.
- Pei Wei Asian Diner official website
- Ruggless, Ron (2000-02-07). "P.F. Chang's readying Pei Wei's fast-casual offshoot". Nation's Restaurant News. (subscription required (. ))