Pelageya performs in Crocus City Hall, Moscow, Nov. 17, 2012
|Birth name||Polina Sergeyevna Smirnova.|
14 July 1986|
|Genres||Folk rock, folk, art rock|
|Years active||late 90's – present|
|Labels||FeeLee Records, Soyuz, Misteria Zvuka|
Pelageya Sergeyevna Khanova (Russian: Пелагея Серге́евна Ханова) or Pelageya, (born 14 July 1986), is а Russian singer. She sings folk-songs from different nations in different languages, romances and compositions written by the members of her group, mostly in rock arrangements.
Life and career
Pelageya's mother, Svetlana Gennadiyevna Khanova (Russian: Светлана Геннадьевна Ханова), formerly a jazz-singer, theatre director and performing arts instructor, is now a producer and art director of her daughter's band. Pelageya's father is unknown. Her last name Khanova is the surname of her mother's last husband. At the age of eight Pelageya entered the musical school attached to Novosibirsk Conservatoire. At nine she was awarded the title "Best folk-singer of Russia in 1996" at a television contest. And at ten she signed a contract with FeeLee Records label and the family moved to Moscow. At the age of 14 she completed her school education through correspondence and entered Russian Academy of Theatre Arts, from which she graduated with honours in 2005.
In 1997 she sang at Moscow's 850th Anniversary Pageant concert, was the sole performer at the Heads of Government of Three States Summit (Jacques Chirac, Helmut Kohl, Boris Yeltsin) and participated in KVN TV show as a member of Novosibirsk State University team.
In July 1999 she was invited by Mstislav Rostropovich to a musical festival in France alongside Evgeny Kissin, Ravi Shankar, B.B. King. In an interview to a French newspaper Galina Vishnevskaya - Rostropovich's wife - called her then "a future of the world's opera". In 2000 Pelageya assembled a band under her name.
After the birth of her daughter, she returns to music by taking part in the anniversary concert of Nikolay Rastorguyev, the leader of the band Lyube, where she performs the song Конь (Horse) in duet with him.
In 2010 Pelageya married Dmitry Efimovich, a television director. They divorced two years later. She is now married to Russian hockey player, Ivan Telegin. They have a daughter Thaisia (Russian: Таисия).
- 2003 — Pelageya (Пелагея)
- 2007 — Maid's songs (Девушкины песни)
- 2009 — Siberian drive (Сибирский драйв)
- 2010 — Paths (Тропы)
- Pelageya Khanova — vocals
- Pavel Deshura — guitar, back vocals, arrangement
- Svetlana Khanova — producer, lyrics, arrangement, audio mixing
- Daniil Oplachkin — drums
- Paata Chakaberiya — bass guitar
- Anton Tsypkin — bayan (accordion), keyboards
- Sergey Poluboyarinov — sound director
- Андрей Ханов. Немного о Пелагее
- Pelageya Khanova - Biography (from official site)
- "Пелагея Ханова - Биография - Рождение фолк-этно-рок певицы и создание группы". Archived from the original on 2012-02-13.
- Хальзова, Анастасия. "Воспитание детей – это тоже творчество". Здоровье школьника (№9 2008). Archived from the original on 2012-02-13. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- Бирюков Сергей (2010-01-21). "Пелагея: "На телевидении и без меня тесно"". Труд. Archived from the original on 2012-02-13. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- Вундеркинды. Телефильм. ООО «Альфа-фильм». Канал «Rossiya 1». Автор сценария — Юлия Семёнова, режиссёр — Илья Цветков, 2006. фрагмент с 14:10 по 20:32
- Грум-Гржимайло Тамара (1999-07-06). "Безудержный Ростропович". Moskovskiye Novosti.
- Новые известия 2006-03-06 Певица Пелагея. Я хочу делать модную русскую музыку
- Чартова дюжина
-  Pelagia for the first time after the birth came on the scene