Pelican Lagoon Conservation Park
|Pelican Lagoon Conservation Park
Pelican Lagoon Conservation Park, Kangaroo Island, South Australia
|Nearest town or city||American River|
|Established||1 January 1967|
|Area||397 hectares (980 acres) |
|Managing authorities||Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
The park has an area of 397 hectares (980 acres) and lies immediately to the south of the town of American River, about 25 kilometres (16 mi) Southeast by south of Kingscote and 19 kilometres (12 mi) Southwest by west of Penneshaw. It consists of land on the peninsula of the north side of the tidal inlet of Pelican Lagoon as well as five islets within the inlet itself. It includes woodland, scrub and heath formations as well as wetland vegetation and adjoins samphire mudflats, providing habitat for several species of woodland and wetland birds and other animals. The conservation park is classified as an IUCN Category Ia protected area. It is complemented by the American River Aquatic Reserve.
- "Protected Areas Information System - reserve list (as of 17 Feb 2014)" (PDF). Department of Environment Water and Natural Resources. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- Anon (1987). Conservation Parks of Kangaroo Island Management Plan (PDF). Adelaide: Department of Environment and Planning, South Australia. pp. 64–71. ISBN 0-7243-8983-0.
- "Pelican Lagoon Conservation Park". Australian Heritage Database. Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities, Australia. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- "American River Aquatic Reserve" (PDF). Primary Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA). Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- "Terrestrial Protected Areas of South Australia (see 'DETAIL' tab)". CAPAD 2012. Australian Government - Department of the Environment. 6 February 2014. Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- The South Australian Fisheries Management Series Paper number 56: Management Plan for the Pelican Lagoon Aquatic Reserve. South Australia: Primary Industries & Regions South Australia (PIRSA). 2011. ISBN 978-0-9807387-2-8.
|This South Australia geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|