Pelican Lagoon Conservation Park
|Pelican Lagoon Conservation Park|
Pelican Lagoon Conservation Park, Kangaroo Island, South Australia
|Nearest town or city||American River|
|Established||16 March 1967|
|Area||4.49 km2 (1.7 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Department for Environment and Water|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
Pelican Lagoon Conservation Park is a protected area located in the Australian state of South Australia on the Dudley Peninsula on Kangaroo Island. It was dedicated in 1967 for the protection of wildlife habitat.
The conservation park has an area of 449 hectares (1,110 acres) and lies immediately to the south of the town of American River, about 25 kilometres (16 miles) southeast by south of Kingscote and 19 kilometres (12 miles) southwest by west of Penneshaw. It consists of land on the peninsula of the north side of the tidal inlet of Pelican Lagoon as well as five islets within the inlet itself. It includes woodland, scrub and heath formations as well as wetland vegetation and adjoins samphire mudflats, providing habitat for several species of woodland and wetland birds and other animals. The conservation park is located within the boundaries of the gazetted locality of Pelican Lagoon with exception to the islets located within the lagoon. The conservation park is classified as an IUCN Category Ia protected area. It is complemented by the American River Aquatic Reserve.
Land within the conservation park first acquired protected area status as a fauna conservation reserve declared under the Crown Lands Act 1929-1966 on 16 March 1967 in respect to sections 475, 476, 477, 478 and 479 in the cadastral unit of the Hundred of Dudley. On 27 April 1972, the land was reconstituted as the Pelican Lagoon Conservation Park under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1972. In 1980, it was listed on the now-defunct Register of the National Estate. As of 2018, it covered an area of 4.49 square kilometres (1.73 sq mi).
- "Terrestrial Protected Areas of South Australia (refer 'DETAIL' tab )". CAPAD 2016. Australian Government, Department of the Environment (DoE). 2016. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- Shard, A.J. (16 March 1967). "CROWN LANDS ACT, 1929-1966: FAUNA CONSERVATION RESERVES DEDICATED" (PDF). THE SOUTH AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT GAZETTE. Government of South Australia. pp. 961–962. Retrieved 26 January 2019.
- "Protected Areas Information System - reserve list (as of 9 March 2018)" (PDF). Department of Environment and Water. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- Anon (1987). Conservation Parks of Kangaroo Island Management Plan (PDF). Adelaide: Department of Environment and Planning, South Australia. pp. 64–71. ISBN 0-7243-8983-0.
- "Search result for " Kangaroo Island (IS)" (Record no SA0033933) with the following layers selected - "Suburbs and Localities" and "Local Government Areas"". Property Location Browser. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 22 May 2016.
- "Pelican Lagoon Conservation Park". Australian Heritage Database. Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities, Australia. Retrieved 24 September 2012.
- "American River Aquatic Reserve" (PDF). Primary Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA). Archived from the original (PDF) on 5 April 2015. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- The South Australian Fisheries Management Series Paper number 56: Management Plan for the Pelican Lagoon Aquatic Reserve. South Australia: Primary Industries & Regions South Australia (PIRSA). 2011. pp. 7 & 9. ISBN 978-0-9807387-2-8.
- "No. 56 of 1972 (National Parks and Wildlife Act, 1972)". The South Australian Government Gazette. Government of South Australia: 660 & 7003. 27 April 1972. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- "Pelican Lagoon Conservation Park, American River (sic), SA, Australia - listing on the now-defunct Register of the National Estate (Place ID 7421)". Australian Heritage Database. Department of the Environment. 21 October 1980. Retrieved 2 March 2019.