Location of Pelkosenniemi in Finland
|Sub-region||Eastern Lapland sub-region|
|• Municipal manager||Pertti Severinkangas|
|• Total||1,881.58 km2 (726.48 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,836.33 km2 (709.01 sq mi)|
|• Water||45.4 km2 (17.5 sq mi)|
|Area rank||32nd largest in Finland|
|• Rank||301st largest in Finland|
|• Density||0.51/km2 (1.3/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||9.8%|
|• 15 to 64||64.8%|
|• 65 or older||25.4%|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||20.5%|
Pelkosenniemi is located in the province of Lapland. The municipality has a population of 944 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 1,881.58 square kilometres (726.48 sq mi) of which 45.4 km2 (17.5 sq mi) is water. The population density is 0.51 inhabitants per square kilometre (1.3/sq mi). Neighbour municipalities are Kemijärvi, Rovaniemi, Salla, Savukoski and Sodankylä.
The municipality is unilingually Finnish and in 2000 was the last remaining municipality in Finland to have its entire population consist of native speakers of Finnish. As of 2010 there were two native speakers of other languages in Pelkosenniemi.
Pelkosenniemi hosts a popular mosquito swatting competition.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- C.G. (11 October 2017). "Explaining the Finnish love of tango". The Economist.
Media related to Pelkosenniemi at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Pelkosenniemi – Official website
|This Lapland (Finland) location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|