Pembroke Township, Kankakee County, Illinois
Location in Kankakee County
Kankakee County's location in Illinois
|Established||February 17, 1877|
|• Township Supervisor||Brenda Miles|
|• Total||52.42 sq mi (135.8 km2)|
|• Land||52.42 sq mi (135.8 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||663 ft (202 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||2,072|
|• Density||40.8/sq mi (15.8/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|ZIP codes||60954, 60964|
Pembroke Township is one of seventeen townships in Kankakee County, Illinois, USA. As of the 2010 census, its population was 2,140 and it contained 1,062 housing units. Pembroke Township was formed from parts of Momence township on February 17, 1877.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 52.42 square miles (135.8 km2), all land.
Cities, towns, villages
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Momence Township (north)
- Lake Township, Newton County, Indiana (northeast)
- McClellan Township, Newton County, Indiana (east)
- Beaverville Township, Iroquois County (south)
- St. Anne Township (west)
- Ganeer Township (northwest)
The township contains the Guiding Star Memorial Cemetery.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of November 11, 2009, according to a CBS newspaper article, due to misappropriation of funds, the Federal Government cut funding to the Tiny village of Hopkins Park which fired the entire police force. Two of three elementary schools were closed. Currently, the County Sheriff provides very limited patrols. Almost half the working age adults are out of work. Pembroke was once home to a Nestle Corporation factory where more than 100 people worked.
The township is governed by an elected Town Board of a Supervisor and four Trustees. The Township also has an elected Assessor, Clerk, Highway Commissioner and Supervisor. The Township Office is located at 4053 South Main Street, PO Box A, Hopkins Park, IL 60944.
- Illinois' 11th congressional district
- State House District 79
- State Senate District 40
- Pembroke Community Consolidated School District #259
- St. Anne Community Consolidated School District 256
- St. Anne Community High School District 302
- "Pembroke Township, Kankakee County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- Pembroke: A Rural, Black Community on the Illinois Dunes by Dave Baron, 2016, Southern Illinois University Press