Pembrokeshire County Council
Pembrokeshire County Council
Cyngor Sir Penfro
Chair of the Council
Leader of the Council
Cllr David Simpson, Independents
since May 2017
since 25 May 2017
|First past the post|
|4 May 2017|
|6 May 2021|
|County Hall, Haverfordwest|
Cllr David Simpson was elected as the new council leader on 25 May 2017, after the previous leader Jamie Adams had withdrawn from the contest. The council had previously been controlled by the Independent Plus Political Group (IPPG), of which Cllr Adams was a member, but their numbers were slashed from 33 to 13 at the May 2017 election. Cllr Adams blamed the IPPG's close connections to the discredited former chief executive. Cllr Simpson is unaffiliated to any group. Cllr Simpson leads a cross party Democratic Coalition of progressives and moderates.
|David Simpson||May 2017||Independent (Democratic Coalition)|
|Jamie Adams||May 2012||May 2017||Independent (IPPG)|
|John Davies||June 2004||May 2012||Independent (IPPG)|
Elections take place every five years. The last elections were on 4 May 2017.
|Independent (not affiliated)
|Year||Independents||Labour||Plaid Cymru||Conservative||Liberal Democrats|
The county is divided into 60 electoral divisions, each returning one councillor. Some of these divisions are coterminous with communities (parishes) of the same name. Most communities have their own elected council. There are ten town councils and 52 community councils in the county. The following table lists council divisions, communities, and associated geographical areas. Communities with a community council are indicated with a '*':
The council received criticism for having leased a Porsche sports car for its former chief executive, Bryn Parry-Jones, who was paid £192,000 a year and then received a £277,000 pay-off when he left the post in 2014.
- 1995 Pembrokeshire County Council election
- 1999 Pembrokeshire County Council election
- 2004 Pembrokeshire County Council election
- 2008 Pembrokeshire County Council election
- 2012 Pembrokeshire County Council election
- "Former mayor is new council chairman". Pembrokeshire County Council. Pembrokeshire County Council. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- "David Simpson elected new Leader of council". The Pembrokeshire Herald. 25 May 2017. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "Jamie Adams: I wouldn't change how we handled Bryn Parry-Jones situation". Western Telegraph. 23 May 2017. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- ""Grave concerns" over troubled Pembrokeshire Council's child safeguarding issues". Wales Online. 12 June 2012. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- "County Council Leader wins top award". Tivyside Advertiser. 11 December 2008. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- "Your Councillors". mgenglish.pembrokeshire.gov.uk. 17 November 2016. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- "Porsche for council boss appalling, Leighton Andrews says". BBC News. 20 January 2015. Retrieved 20 March 2015.