|Town and Commune|
|• Alcalde||Julio Muñoz Salazar (PDC)|
|• Total||562.7 km2 (217.3 sq mi)|
|Elevation||182 m (597 ft)|
|Population (2012 Census)|
|• Density||15/km2 (38/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CLT (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||CLST (UTC-3)|
|Area code(s)||country 56 + city 42|
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, Pemuco spans an area of 562.7 km2 (217 sq mi) and has 8,821 inhabitants (4,578 men and 4,243 women). Of these, 3,844 (43.6%) lived in urban areas and 4,977 (56.4%) in rural areas. The population grew by 4.8% (408 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses.
As a commune, Pemuco is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2008-2012 alcalde is Julio Muñoz Salazar (PDC).
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, Pemuco is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Carlos Abel Jarpa (PRSD) and Rosauro Martínez (RN) as part of the 41st electoral district, (together with Chillán, Coihueco, Pinto, San Ignacio, El Carmen, Yungay and Chillán Viejo). The commune is represented in the Senate by Victor Pérez Varela (UDI) and Mariano Ruiz -Esquide Jara (PDC) as part of the 13th senatorial constituency (Biobío-Coast).
- "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades" (in Spanish). Retrieved 23 February 2011.
- "Municipality of Pemuco" (in Spanish). Retrieved 23 February 2011.
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- (in Spanish) Municipality of Pemuco