|Alma mater||Goldsmiths, University of London|
University of Brighton
|Occupation||Artist, Critic, Writer|
|Employer||Dartington College of Arts |
Birmingham City University
Penelope Dalton is an artist, critic and writer.
Dalton spent many years as an academic researcher in socially contextualised practice in printmaking and art education, drawing on feminist and linguistic theory. In recent years she has eschewed 'theory'. The arts - she now believes - are being absorbed within the economies of entertainment, social welfare and consumerism. Her recent work returns to a modernist approach, and focusses on the materiality of painting as an imaginative practice of analogy and poetics.
- "Contemporary Painting: In Good Health". (2017) The Menier Gallery, London
- "Stations of the Cross" Brentwood Cathedral (2015) 
- "Contemporary British Abstraction" SE9 Container Gallery, London (2015) 
- "Contemporary British Painting" Huddersfield Art Gallery (2014)
- "@PaintBritain" Ipswich Art School Gallery, Ipswich Museum (2014) 
- "Artness" Artmeet Gallery, Milan, Italy (2014)
- "A World to Win: Posters of Protest and Revolution" Victoria and Albert Museum, London (2014) William Morris Gallery (2016) 
- "Propaganda Posters From the Schreyer Collection" Victoria and Albert Museum, London (2002)
- "Exposition de Grabado Contemporaneo [Eight contemporary women printmakers]" Circulo de Bellas Artes, Madrid, Spain British Council.(1998)
- "The Power of the Poster" Victoria and Albert Museum, London (1998)
- "Women's Art" Spacex (art gallery), Exeter (1989)
- "Prints With a Point" Hard Times Gallery, Bristol (1987)
- "3 Women Artists" Battersea Arts Centre, London (1984)
- "Reflections: 5 Women Artists" Aspex Gallery, Portsmouth (1982)
- (2008) Pen Dalton: Doctoral thesis: Family and Other Relations:
- (2006) Pen Dalton: ' "Like"' in Henry Rogers, (ed.) Art Becomes You: Parody, Pastiche and the Politics of Art: Materiality in a Post-material Paradigm. BIAD/IKON Gallery. Article Press. ISBN 1 873352 98 0
- (2006)Pen Dalton: 'Where is 'the subject' of contextual practice?' in The Journal of Visual Art Practice, Intellect Publishers. vol. 3 no 1 ISSN 1470-2029
- (2006) Pen Dalton: 'Feminist Methodologies in Art Education: Critique' in The International Journal, n.paradoxa, vol. 17, pp 72–76. ISSN 1461-0434
- (2003) Pen Dalton: critical essay: 'Losing it' in Lloyd Lewis, P. and Shaffrey C., (eds) Losing It: a catalogue for an exhibition of screen based video, Fenton Gallery, Cork, Eire. pp. 1–4. Article Press. ISBN 1873352 78 6
- (2001) Pen Dalton. book: The Gendering of Art Education : Modernism, Identity and Critical Feminism.
- (1999) Pen Dalton: 'Oedipal dramas in art education' in The International Journal of Art and Design Education. vol.18 no 3 October. pp. 301–306 
- (1995) Pen Dalton: 'Modernism, art education and sexual difference' in Barrie, P. and Deepwell, K ads. New Feminist Art Criticism. Manchester University Press.
- (1992) Pen Dalton: 'Psychology and the subject of art education' in J& J Swift (ends) Disciplines, Fields, Change in Art Education, vol 3 Article Press. pp. 83–96 ISBN 1873352 43 3
- (1979) Pen Dalton: 'What is art education for? Feminist Art News no 1 Spring. (1980) 'What is art education for? (reprinted) Pollock G and Parker, R. (eds) Framing Feminism: Art and the Women's Movement. 1970-85. Pandora ISBN 0863581781
- (1978) Pen Dalton: 'Feminist art practice and the mass media' in Feminist Arts News, no 1; reprinted (1979) in Women's Studies International Journal vol 3 no 1, reprinted (1980) in Baerh, H. (ed) Women and Media, Oxford, Pergamon Press ISBN 0080260616
- (2017) Contemporary Masters from Britain: 80 British Painters of the 21st Century. Seabrook Press.
- (2009) Frizell, Hazel Representations of specific concerns of the women's liberation movement in British feminist art 1970-1978. 
- (2002) Doy, Gen. Drapery: Classicism and Barbarism in Visual Culture ISBN 1 86064 539 9
- (1997) Timmers, M.(ed) The Power of the Poster, V & A publications.pp 140 – 141. ISBN 185177 2405
- (1993) Phillipe R. (ed) Political Graphics: Art As a Weapon. Phaidon. p 300 ISBN 0714822205
- "Pen Dalton". axisweb.org.
- Dalton, Penelope (2008). Family and other relations : a thesis examining the extent to which family relationships shape the relations of art. ethos.bl.uk (PhD thesis). University of Plymouth. hdl:10026.1/758. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.485481.
- "Pen Dalton". Artlyst. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Pen Dalton, Stuff and Nonsense". Wall Street International. 2014-01-22. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- Artlyst. "Art Event: Paint Jobs by Pen dalton". Artlyst London. Retrieved 2016-06-03.
- "new exhibitions of contemporary art / exhibitions". www.newexhibitions.com. Retrieved 2016-06-03.
- "Dalton, Pen". V&A. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- Dalton, Pen (1974). "Poster". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- The Gendering of Art Education : Modernism, Identity and Critical Feminism. Open University Press. 2001. ISBN 9780335196487. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- Dalton, Pen (1999). "Oedipal Dramas in Art Education". International Journal of Art & Design Education. 18 (3): 301–306. doi:10.1111/1468-5949.00187.
- Frizell, Hazel Elizabeth (2009). Representations of specific concerns of the women's liberation movement in British feminist art 1970-1978. ethos.bl.uk (PhD thesis). Kingston University. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.497597.