Federal Social Readaptation Center No. 1
The Federal Social Readaptation Center No. 1 "Altiplano" (Spanish: Centro Federal de Readaptación Social Número 1 "Altiplano") is the maximum security federal prison (originally called the Penal de Máxima Seguridad No. 1 "Almoloya de Juárez", later renamed the Federal Social Readaptation Center No. 1 "La Palma" (Centro Federal de Readaptación Social No. 1 "La Palma"), before assuming its present name) of the Secretariat of Public Security in Mexico. This facility is located in the Santa Juana Centro (ES) neighborhood of Almoloya de Juárez, in the State of Mexico, 25 kilometers (16 mi) from Toluca.
Of significant concern to Mexican authorities is the risk that the prison could be attacked from the outside as part of an organized prison break. Therefore, the walls have been reinforced to as much as 1 meter in thickness to discourage ramming. Furthermore, the air space near the facility is restricted. Also, authorities claim that cell phone transmissions are limited within 10 km (6.2 mi) of the prison to stymie communications between the inmates and their colleagues outside. Armored personnel carriers are also based near the facility to protect it during a potential assault. This prison was thought to be impenetrable until July 11, 2015, when "El Chapo" Guzmán escaped through a tunnel.
Notable actual inmates
- Héctor Luis Palma Salazar (known as "El Güero") - former leader of the Sinaloa Cartel
- Mario Aburto Martínez - accused assassin of presidential candidate Luis Donaldo Colosio.
- Miguel Treviño Morales (known as "Z-40") - former leader of the Los Zetas Cartel
- Luis Fernando Sánchez Arellano (known as "El Ingeniero") - former leader of the Tijuana Cartel
- Héctor Beltrán Leyva (known as "El H") - former leader of the Beltrán Leyva Cartel
- Servando Gómez Martínez (known as "La Tuta") - former leader of the Knights Templar Cartel
- Omar Treviño Morales (known as "Z-42") - former deputy leader of the Los Zetas Cartel
- Daniel Arizmendi López (known as "El Mochaorejas") - leader of a kidnapping gang
- Various alleged members of Los Zetas, Jaime González Durán (known as "El Hummer"), El Débora and El Barbas
- Teodoro García Simental who broke off the Cartel Arellano Félix
- Various alleged Zapatistas
- Marco Antonio García Simental (known as "El Cris" & "El 8-9") - Lieutenant in the Arellano Félix Organization, older brother of Teodoro García Simental "El Teo".
- "ARTURO GUZMAN LOERA, ALIAS “EL POLLO GUZMAN” CAPTURED." Government of Mexico. September 7, 2001. Retrieved on February 28, 2011. "[...]at the Federal Social Readaptation Center “La Palma”"
- "Centro Federal de Readaptación Social N°1 "Altiplano"" COFEMER. Retrieved on February 28, 2011.
- "CENTROS FEDERALES DE READAPTACIÓN SOCIAL." (Archive) Secretariat of Public Security. 4/8. Retrieved on February 28, 2011. "Ubicación En el Estado de México, en el municipio de Almoloya de Juárez, aproximadamente a 25 kilómetros de la ciudad de Toluca."
- Centros Federales
- "Refuerzan seguridad en La Palma" (in Spanish). 2005-08-25.
- "'El Mochaorejas' preso en la carcel Almoloya de Juarez: Algunos" (in Spanish). 1998-08-28. Retrieved 2009-01-28.
- "Trasladan a Zetas al penal del Altiplano en Edomex" (in Spanish). 2008-01-11. Retrieved 2009-01-27.
- "Trasladan a El Hummer al penal del Altiplano" (in Spanish). 2008-09-11. Archived from the original on March 25, 2009. Retrieved 2008-12-24.
- "Van "El Débora" y "El Barbas" a penales federales" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2007-05-03.[dead link]
- "Trasladan a El Teo a penal de El Altiplano" (in Spanish). 2010-01-13. Retrieved 2009-01-13.
- "Castigan a Héctor Galindo, preso político en el penal del Altiplano" (in Spanish). 2008-08-303. Retrieved 2009-01-15. Check date values in:
- "After the Repression in Atenco and More than Six Months Setting up the Protest Camp, Only Five People Maintain It". 2007-02-01. Retrieved 2008-11-09.
- "CENTROS FEDERALES DE READAPTACIÓN SOCIAL." (Archive) Secretariat of Public Security.
- "Centro Federal de Readaptación Social N°1 "Altiplano"" COFEMER.