Penang Road, George Town
|Jalan Penang (Malay)|
槟榔律 / 檳榔律 (Simplified Chinese / Traditional Chinese)
ராஜாதி மேடு (Tamil)
|Maintained by the Penang Island City Council|
|North end||Farquhar Street|
|South end||Magazine Circus (next to Komtar)|
|Criteria||ii, iii, iv|
|Designated||2008 (32nd session)|
|Part of||George Town UNESCO Buffer Zone|
Penang Road is a major thoroughfare in the city of George Town in Penang, Malaysia. It runs between Farquhar Street to the north and KOMTAR to the south. The road is a one-way road, with the traffic directed southwards towards KOMTAR.
Penang Road is one of the major streets in George Town, as it is heavily used daily by motorists and Rapid Penang public buses heading towards KOMTAR from the UNESCO Site and Gurney Drive. In addition, Penang Road is home to a number of attractions, such as the bars at Upper Penang Road and Chowrasta Market, one of the few wet markets still in operation within George Town. In particular, Chowrasta Market offers a variety of local produce and pastries unique to Penang, such as nutmegs and tau sar pneah biscuits.
Penang Road was one of the first roads to be built outside the original town area planned by Francis Light. For centuries, Penang Road has served as a retail street, especially along the stretch running in front of Chowrasta Market. The market was built in the 1890s.
- Chowrasta Market
- Upper Penang Road
- Penang Police Headquarters
- Continental Hotel
- Hotel Malaysia
- The Merchant Hotel
- Towne House Hotel
- Grand Inn
- Oriental Hotel
- Hotel Central
- II, Administrator. "Chowrasta Market". www.visitpenang.gov.my. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "Retelling Chowrasta Market's history - Community | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- Netto, Anil (2013-10-06). "Old Penang: Suzuki, the 'hippy' executioner (Updated) - anilnetto.com". anilnetto.com. Retrieved 2017-01-19.
- "The fast growing Upper Penang Road precinct - Business News | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Penang Road, George Town.|