Penelope Diane Olsen
Dr Penelope Diane Olsen is an Australian ornithologist and author. She has worked with CSIRO as an experimental officer and an Honorary Research Associate as well as being an ARC Postdoctoral Fellow at the Australian National University. She is also internationally recognised as an expert on raptors and was involved in the conservation work on Norfolk Island for the Norfolk Island Boobook. She was President of the Australasian Raptor Association 1984–1989. In 1997 she was awarded the Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union's D.L. Serventy Medal for excellence in published work on birds in the Australasian region.
Since 2003 she has been editor of Birds Australia's magazine Wingspan.
- Olsen, Penny, ed. (1993). Australian raptor studies. Australasian Raptor Association Conference (Canberra, 1989). Moonee Ponds, Vic.: Australasian Raptor Association, Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union.
- — (1995). Australian birds of prey : the biology and ecology of raptors. Sydney: UNSW Press.
- Olsen, Penny. (2001). Feather and Brush. Two centuries of Australian bird art. CSIRO Publishing: Melbourne.
- Olsen, Penny. (2005). Wedge-tailed Eagle. Australian Natural History Series. CSIRO Publishing: Melbourne.
- Olsen, Penny (2007). Glimpses of paradise : the quest for the Beautiful Parakeet. Canberra: National Library of Australia.
- Olsen, Penny. (2010). Upside Down World: Early European Impressions of Australia's Curious Animals, National Library of Australia: Canberra.
- Olsen, Penny. (adapted). (2010). The Best Nest, National Library of Australia: Canberra. ISBN 978-0-642-27704-6 (pbk)
- Olsen, Penny. (2012). Our Nest is Best!, National Library of Australia: Canberra. ISBN 978-0-642-27737-4 (hbk)
- Olsen, Penny. (2013). Have You Seen My Egg?, National Library of Australia: Canberra. ISBN 978-0-642-27788-6 (pbk)
- — (2014). An eye for nature : the life and art of William T. Cooper. Canberra: NLA Publishing.
- Olsen, Penny (March 2009). "The independent ornithologist" (PDF). The National Library Magazine. 1 (1): 18–20. Retrieved 2011-01-18. (Subject: François Le Vaillant)
- — (June 2015). "Sidney William Jackson : collector and tree-climber" (PDF). The National Library of Australia Magazine. 7 (2): 12–15. Retrieved 2015-11-08.
- — (Dec 2015). "Farewell William Thomas Cooper, 1934–2015". The National Library of Australia Magazine. 7 (4): 24–27.
- "2010, English, Book, Illustrated edition: The best nest / adapted by Penny Olsen.". www.nla.gov.au. National Library of Australia. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- "2012, English, Book, Illustrated edition: Our nest is best! / Penny Olsen with Penny O'Hara.". www.nla.gov.au. National Library of Australia. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- "2013, English, Book, Illustrated edition: Have you seen my egg? / Penny Olsen ; illustrated by Rhonda N. Garward.". www.gov.au. National Library of Australia. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- Anon. (1997). D.L. Serventy Medal 1997: Citation. Penelope Diane Olsen. Emu 97: 262.
- Robin, Libby. (2001). The Flight of the Emu: a hundred years of Australian ornithology 1901–2001. Carlton, Vic. Melbourne University Press. ISBN 0-522-84987-3
|This article about an Australian ornithologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|