Peng surname in regular script
Phêⁿ, Phîⁿ (Minnan)
|Language(s)||Chinese, Indonesian, Vietnamese, Korean|
Pang, Phang (Cantonese, Hakka)
Phi, Phe (Hokkien)
Peng (Chinese: 彭; pinyin: Péng), alternative form of romanizations includes Pang and Phang (Cantonese, Hakka), Pangestu or Pangestoe (Indonesian), Banh (Vietnamese) is a common Chinese family name, ranking 35th most common in 2006.
The surname Peng (彭) is traced to the legend of Peng Zu (彭祖), God of Longevity, who legend tells lived 800 years. During the Shang Dynasty, Jian Keng, a descendent of Zhuanxu (顓頊), was granted the feudal territory Dapeng (大彭, or Land of Peng), and later adopted the name, Peng Zu.
Outside of China, for example people with the surname Paeng (Hangul: 팽) in Korea are rumoured amongst the Chinese communities to be distantly related to some of the northeastern Chinese with the surname Péng, who migrated into the Korean peninsula several decades ago. This is often accompanied with the fact that many Koreans with the surname Paeng are ethnic Chinese descents or in some cases, mixed Chinese-Korean as the surname Paeng is uncommon among Korean people.
People with the surname Peng
- Adrian Pang (彭耀顺; born 1966), Singaporean Chinese actor
- Diana Pang (彭丹; born 1972), Hong Kong dancer and actress
- Jacqueline Pang (彭晴; born 1974), Hong Kong radio announcer and author
- Peng Bo, Olympic diving medalist
- Peng Cheng-min(彭政閔), a Taiwanese baseball player
- Peng Chong, a former Chinese politburo member
- Peng Dehuai, the Communist Party of China military leader.
- Peng Huaying (彭華英), a Taiwan independence activist during the 1920s
- Peng Liyuan, wife of Xi Jinping
- Peng Ming-min (彭明敏), Taiwan independence activist
- Peng Shuai, professional tennis player
- Peng Wan-ru, Taiwanese politician and feminist
- Peng Xiuwen, conductor and composer
- Peng Yiliang, a professional League of Legends player.
- Peng Zhen, a leading member of the Communist Party of China
- Prajogo Pangestu, Indonesian tycoon
- The Pang Brothers (born 1955), Hong Kong, twin brothers Danny Pang Fat (彭發) and Oxide Pang Chun (彭順), screenwriters and film directors
|This page or section lists people with the surname Peng. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|