Pengiran Anak Sarah
|Crown Princess Sarah|
Pengiran Anak Sarah in her army cadets uniform in 2009
|Spouse||Al-Muhtadee Billah, Crown Prince of Brunei|
|Issue||Pengiran Muda 'Abdul Muntaqim
Pengiran Anak Muneerah Madhul
Pengiran Muda Muhammad Aiman
|House||House of Bolkiah|
|Father||Pengiran Salleh Abdul Rahaman|
|Mother||Dayang Rinawaty Abdullah|
9 April 1987 |
Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha Hospital, Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei
|Bruneian Royal Family|
Pengiran Anak Isteri Pengiran Anak Sarah (Jawi: ڤڠيرن انق استري ڤڠيرن انق ساراه) (born 9 April 1987) is the wife of the Crown Prince of Brunei, Al-Muhtadee Billah. As the daughter of a distant member of the royal family, she was regarded as a commoner. While attending a pre-university course at 17, she married the Crown Prince. The couple have two children.
She was born Dayangku Sarah binti Pengiran Salleh at Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha Hospital, Bandar Seri Begawan, as the third child and only daughter of Pengiran Salleh Abdul Rahaman Pengiran Damit and Dayang Rinawaty Abdullah (née Suzanne Aeby). Her father (born 1 June 1950) is a distant member of the royal family and worked as the chief laboratory assistant at the Water Services Division in the Public Works Department. Her mother (born 3 March 1954 in Fribourg, Switzerland) is a nurse who worked in Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha Hospital. Her parents met in the United Kingdom in the 1970s while studying.
Her two elder brothers are Awangku Irwan and Awangku Adrian.
Pengiran Anak Sarah attended St. Andrew's School from 1993 to 1998, and then Paduka Seri Begawan Sultan Science College, where she passed her O-levels in 2003. Al-Muhtadee Billah is also an alumnus of both schools. She pursued her pre-university education in the same college.
She enjoys music, classical and modern theatre.
Marriage and children
On 9 March 2004, while still attending Paduka Seri Begawan Sultan Science College, she married 30-year-old Al-Muhtadee Billah, the Crown Prince, in a glittering affair at Istana Nurul Iman. The ceremony, dubbed the "Asian wedding of the year," was attended by dignitaries including members of foreign royal families and heads of government. After the bersanding ceremony, the royal couple were driven in a gold open-topped Rolls-Royce across Bandar Seri Begawan, where they were greeted by crowds lining the streets.
On 17 March 2007, Pengiran Anak Sarah gave birth to the couple's first child and future heir, Pengiran Muda Abdul Muntaqim, at Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha Hospital. A daughter, Pengiran Anak Muneerah Madhul, was born on 2 January 2011, and a second son Muhammad Aiman ibni Duli on 7 June 2015.
She enrolled at Universiti Brunei Darussalam, where she graduated with first class honours in October 2010, receiving a Bachelor of Arts in Public Policy and Administration. She was a member of the university's army cadets and was a top-scorer on the university's netball team.
Titles and styles
Malay language styles
Pengiran Anak Isteri Pengiran Anak Sarah
|Reference style||Her Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
- which means
- Paduka Seri Pengiran Anak Isteri : Consort Princess, consort of a son of the Sultan
- Pengiran Anak : Princess (descendant in the male line of a Sultan & married to a descendant in the male line)
- binti : daughter
- Pangiran (or Pengiran): title of married male descendants in the male line of a Sultan
While still a bachelor :
- Dayangku Sarah binti Pengiran Salleh
- which means
- Dayangku : title used for unmarried daughters of a Pangiran (retained after marriage if the husband is a commoner) - female equivalent of Y.M. Awangku
She was awarded:
- Jordan : Grand Cordon Special Class of the Supreme Order of the Renaissance (13 May 2008)
- Netherlands : Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown (21 January 2013) 
- She is referred to by state media and English language publications in Brunei as the wife of the Crown Prince, but not Crown Princess. The style Pengiran Anak Isteri is given to wives of princes.
- "Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Sarah". BruneiResources.com. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "Guests arrive for Brunei crown prince's wedding". China Daily. 9 September 2004. Retrieved 9 September 2004.
- Brunei Resources
- Kent, Jonathan (9 September 2004). "Brunei's future king gets married". BBC News. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "Brunei Hails Birth of New Prince". BruneiDirect. 18 March 2007. Retrieved 20 March 2007.
- "His Majesty has named His Majesty's grand-daughter". Radio Television Brunei. 2 January 2011. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "His Majesty names royal grandson". Borneo Bulletin. 21 June 2015. Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- Thien, Rachel; Ubaidullah Masli (1 October 2010). "Princess Sarah gets First Class Honours". The Brunei Times. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- Royal Ark, Brunei - Style and glossary
- The Royal Ark, Brunei genealogical details
- Heir Couple of Brunei, Photo with State decorations