This article does not cite any sources. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Pengkalan Hulu (Chinese: 高乌), formerly known as Kroh or Keroh, is a town and a mukim in Hulu Perak District, Perak, Malaysia, bordering Thailand and Kedah. The nearest town on the Thailand side is Betong in Yala province.
Although described as a border town, Pengkalan Hulu is 7 km from the actual border which is located at Bukit Berapit, where the Malaysian customs, immigration and quarantine station is located.
- Above sea Level : 380 m
- Federal Route : 77
Malay, Chinese, Tamil, Thai, local languages
Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Christian, traditional beliefs
Malay, Chinese, Indian, Native People, Siamese
- Sekolah Kebangsaan kroh
- Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan (Tamil) Pengkalan Hulu
- Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan (Cina) Eok Kwan
- Sekolah Kebangsaan Bekuai
- Sekolah Kebangsaan Tasek
- Sekolah Kebangsaan Kuak Hulu
- Sekolah Kebangsaan Kuak Luar
- Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Pengkalan Hulu
- Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Tun Saban
- Maktab Rendah Sains Mara
- Pondok Madrasah AlLatiffiah (Pondok Pak Teh)
- Madrasah Al yusuffiah
- Masjid Jamek, Pekan Pengkalan Hulu (masjid baru 2011)
- Masjid Al-Aula, Kampung Selarong
- Masjid Al-Ghufran, Felda Lepang Nenering
- Masjid Iskandari, Pekan kroh, Jalan Tasek
- Masjid Iskandariah, Kampung Kuak Luar
- Masjid Air Panas, Kg.Air Panas
- Masjid Klian Intan, Kg.Klian Intan
- Masjid Al-Bakri, Kg.Kuak Hulu
Place of Interest
- Gunung Lang kuak hulu - recreation and view point.
- Hot Spring Pond
- Golf Course
- Black River Cascade
- Kuak Shoe Cascade
- Kuak Rainbow Cascade
- Gua Gendang (Caves of Drum)- a unique cave with underground stream situated in a nearby Siamese village called Kampung Tasek.
- Taman Tasik Pengkalan Hulu - a unique human made lake with nice view located near the town of Pengkalan Hulu.
- The Zone Free Duty Shopping Centre - Located near border of Thailand.
- Kelian Intan - Situated 20 km from Pengkalan Hulu town. Well known as the one of the Black Area in Malaysian history as a place for Communist Malaya Parties to hide. It is also connect Pengkalan Hulu town down south to Gerik Town.
- Terapung Restaurant - At Takong Lake.
- R 'n' R Padang Tamat.
- Gong An Hainan Restaurant - 30 years of history, serving Hainanese dishes such as Hainan Chicken Chop, Fish & Chips, etc. Located on the main road of Jalan Iskandar in town centre.
- Huang Chau Chinese Restaurant - Serving various Chinese cuisine and seafood, a few shops away from Gong An on Jalan Iskandar.
- 126 Seafood Restaurant - A seafood restaurant on Jalan Sri Iskandar opposite of Huang Chao, a corner lot. please look for A How for your order of secret recipe Asam Curry Seafood.
- Thai-style Tom Yam @ Jalan Iskandar, beside Maybank. A shack that opens for lunch and dinner. HALAL.
- Food Court, next to the market and bus/ taxi stations.
- Chalet Air Panas
- Hotel Iskandar
- HNM HOTEL
- PENGKALAN HULU CITY HOTEL
- Hotel Sri Shahaz
- Chalet Sri Tasek
Government and politics
Pengkalan Hulu is also an autonomous sub-district (daerah kecil), consisting of the mukims of Pengkalan Hulu and nearby Belukar Semang.
In the Malaysian Parliament, Pengkalan Hulu is part of the Gerik parliamentary constituency.
- Maybank branch. Location - 19A, Jalan Iskandar.
- Bank Simpanan Nasional (Only ATM). Location - in front of Petronas Gas Station.
- Google Maps link showing the Bukit Berapit customs, immigration and quarantine post (left) and the Thai checkpoint to the right.
- Portal Rasmi Pejabat Daerah dan Tanah Pengkalan Hulu
- Chalet Air Panas in Pengkalan Hulu