Penguin Prison in October 2010
|Origin||New York City|
|Genres||Synthpop, dance-pop, indietronica, Disco|
Penguin Prison is an electropop project composed solely of New York City singer, musician, producer and remixer Chris Glover. Penguin Prison's self-titled debut album was released on 18 October 2011 through Downtown Records to positive reviews.
Chris Glover was born in 1983 grew up in New York City's Upper East Side. His early musical influences came mostly from his mother's love of country music. Glover's favorite artists growing up were Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, and Hank Williams. Glover showed an interest in performing music at an early age when he joined his school's gospel choir at age 10, singing alongside future R&B artist Alicia Keys. While a teen, he performed at CBGB's with his punk band The Museum. He attended the Bard College , where he formed a popular "crazy, fake boy band" called The Smartest People At Bard, which he describes as "a cross between Backstreet Boys and Beastie Boys".
Penguin Prison is known for remixing, among others, the Darren Hayes song "Talk Talk Talk", the Ellie Goulding song "Starry Eyed", the Imagine Dragons song "It's Time" and the Marina and the Diamonds song "I Am Not a Robot".
- Studio albums
- Penguin Prison (2011)
- Lost in New York (May 5, 2015)
- Calling Out (October 14, 2014)
- Calling Out Remix EP (December 15, 2014)
- Never Gets Old (February 10, 2015)
- Turn It Up (October 27, 2017)
- "Penguin Prison (No 664)", The Guardian. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
- "Penguin Prison: Popping Up", Idolator. Retrieved 05 January 2015.
- "Penguin Prison Review BBC MUSIC", BBC Music. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
- "iTunes - Music - Calling Out - Single by Penguin Prison". iTunes. Retrieved 11 February 2015.
- "iTunes - Music - Calling Out Remix EP by Penguin Prison". iTunes. Retrieved 11 February 2015.
- "iTunes - Music - Never Gets Old - Single by Penguin Prison". iTunes. Retrieved 11 February 2015.
- "Penguin Prison". SoundCloud. Retrieved 2017-10-27.