|Parent company||Clarion Events|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Tulsa, Oklahoma|
|Publication types||Magazines, newsletters, books, maps, directories, databases|
PennWell publishes 45 business-to-business magazines and newsletters, conducts over 60 conferences and exhibitions on six continents, and also offers books, maps, directories and database services. In 2011 it acquired a data mapping company and also expanded its publications in the technology field.
The company, originally called the Petroleum Publishing Company and owned by Pennsylvanian Patrick Boyle, began in 1910 with the acquisition of a magazine based in Beaumont, Texas, called Oil Investors Journal; Boyle moved the publication to Tulsa and renamed it Oil & Gas Journal. Boyle died in 1920, and was succeeded first by his son-in-law Frank T. Lauinger, and then, in 1932, by his grandson P.C. Lauinger, who led the Journal to increasing financial success, established a number of other petroleum-oriented publications, and acquired publications in the dental care field. P.C. Lauinger remained in control of the company until his death in 1988; thereafter his son-in-law, Robert Biolchini, led the company until 2015, when Mark Wilmoth was elected president and CEO while Biolchini became chairman of the board.
- Water & Wastewater International
- Small Times
- Solid State Technology
- Renewable Energy World.
- Laser Focus World
- Industrial Laser Solutions
- BioOptic World
- Oil & Gas Journal
- Offshore Magazine
- Oil & Gas Financial Journal
- Utility Products
- Electric Light & Power
- Power Engineering
- Power Engineering International
- Cogeneration & OnSite Power
- Journal of Emergency Medical Services
- Fire Rescue
- Law Officer
- Fire Engineering Magazine
- Pennwellhub Power
- Vision Systems Design
- Dental Economics
- LUX Magazine
- "Laser Focus World Wins Gold at the 2011 Folio Awards in New York City". PennWell. January 31, 2011. Retrieved November 29, 2015.
- Rod Walton, "PennWell acquires broadband assets from Hermes", Tulsa World, December 30, 2011.
- Rod Walton, "PennWell marks 100 years of publishing", Tulsa World, October 17, 2010.
- Bobby D. Weaver, "Oil and Gas Journal" at Oklahoma Historical Society Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture Archived 2009-04-16 at the Wayback Machine (accessed January 13, 2012).
- "Publisher of oil industry Journal still going full gusher at age 70", Associated Press in The Miami News, May 27, 1971.
- "PennWell announces leadership changes", Tulsa World, September 24, 2015.
- "PennWell Corp. and NewBay Media Acquired By UK Firms". Folio:. 2018-04-04. Retrieved 2018-09-01.
- PennWell Acquires Elsevier Public Safety Media Brands
- Wright, Maury (October 14, 2014). "PennWell acquires interest in publisher of Lux Magazine and Lux Review". www.ledsmagazine.com.