Penn State Board of Trustees
The Penn State Board of Trustees is the 32-member governing body for The Pennsylvania State University. Its members include the university's president, the Governor of the Commonwealth, and the state Secretaries of Agriculture, Conservation and Natural Resources, and Education. The other members include six trustees appointed by the Governor, nine elected by alumni, and six elected by Pennsylvania agricultural societies. Six additional trustees are elected by a board representing business and industry enterprises. Undergraduate students do not elect any trustees; the court case Benner v. Oswald ruled that the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment did not require the undergraduate students be allowed to participate in the selection of trustees.
The main responsibilities of the board are to select the president of Penn State, to determine the goals and strategic direction of the University, and to approve the annual budget. Regular meetings of the board are held bi-monthly and take place primarily on the University Park campus, although on occasion meetings are held at other locations within the Commonwealth.
Members listed below as of April 9, 2015 Note: The date in parentheses following each name below indicates the year in which the term will expire. Trustees appointed by the Governor serve until their successors have been appointed and confirmed.
Members ex officio
- Eric J. Barron, President, The Pennsylvania State University (Secretary of the Board of Trustees)
- Tom Wolf, Governor, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Russell C. Redding, Acting Secretary, Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture
- Cynthia A. Dunn, Acting Secretary, Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
- Pedro A. Rivera, Acting Secretary, Pennsylvania Department of Education
- John Hanger, Governor's Non-voting Representative
Appointed by the Governor
- Kathleen L. Casey (2015) Senior Advisor, Potomak Global Partners, LLC
- Clifford Benson (2016) Chief Development Officer, Buffalo Sabres
- Mark H. Dambly (2017) President, Penrose Properties, LLC
- Allison S. Goldstein (2017) Graduate Assistant, Penn State University
- Todd L. Rucci (2015) Government and Community Relations Officer, PAP Technologies
- Paul H. Silvis (2013) Head Coach, SilcoTek (Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees)
Elected by Alumni
- Edward B. Brown, III (2016) President & CEO, KETCHConsulting, Inc.
- Barbara L. Doran (2016) Portfolio Manager/Private Wealth Advisor, Morgan Stanley
- Robert Jubelirer (2017) Partner, Obermayer, Rebmann, Maxwell & Hippel
- Albert L. Lord (2017)
- Anthony P. Lubrano (2015) President, A.P. Lubrano & Company, Inc.
- Ryan J. McCombie (2015)
- William F. Oldsey (2016) Independent Consultant/Educational Publishing; Operating Partner, Atlas Advisors
- Alice W. Pope (2017) Associate Professor, St. John's University
- Adam Taliaferro (2015) Healthcare Alliance Liaison, Bristol Myers Squibb
Elected by Delegates from Agricultural Societies
- Donald G. Cotner (2015) President, Cotner Farms, Inc.
- Keith W. Eckel (2013) Sole Proprietor and President, Fred W. Eckel and Sons Farms, Incorporated
- M. Abraham Harpster (2016)
- Betsy E. Huber (2014) Immediate Past Master, Pennsylvania State Grange
- Keith E. Masser (2014) Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Sterman Masser, Inc. (Chairman of the Board of Trustees)
- Carl T. Shaffer (2015) President, Pennsylvania Farm Bureau
Elected by Board Representing Business and Industry
- Richard K. Dandrea (2016) Attorney, Eckert Seamans Cherin & Mellott, LLC
- Kenneth C. Frazier (2015) President & Chief Executive Officer, Merck & Company, Incorporated
- Edward R. Hintz, Jr. (2015) President, Hintz Capital Management, Incorporated
- Ira M. Lubert (2016) Chairman and Co-Founder, Independence Capital Partners and Lubert Adler Partners, L.P.
- Daniel S. Mead (2017) President and CEO, Verizon Wireless
- Walter C. Rakowich (2017) Retired CEO, Prologis
- H. Jesse Arnelle, Attorney
- Cynthia A. Baldwin, Retired Justice, Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- James S. Broadhurst, Chairman, Eat'n Park Hospitality Group, Inc.
- Charles C. Brosius, Retired President, Marlboro Mushrooms
- Walter J. Conti, Retired Owner, Cross Keys Inn/Pipersville Inn
- Donald M. Cook, Jr., Retired President, SEMCOR, Incorporated
- Marian U. Barash Coppersmith, Retired Chairman of the Board, The Barash Group
- Robert M. Frey, Attorney-at-Law, Frey & Tiley, P.C.
- Steve A. Garban, Senior Vice President for Finance and Operations/Treasurer Emeritus
- Samuel E. Hayes, Jr.
- David R. Jones, Retired Assistant Managing Editor, The New York Times
- Edward P. Junker, III, Retired Vice Chairman, PNC Bank Corporation
- Roger A. Madigan, Retired State Senator, 23rd Senatorial District
- Robert D. Metzgar, Former President, North Penn Pipe & Supply, Incorporated
- Joel N. Myers, President, AccuWeather, Inc.
- Anne Riley, English Teacher
- Barry K. Robinson, Attorney-at-Law
- L. J. Rowell, Jr., Retired Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Provident Mutual Life Insurance
- Cecile M. Springer, President, Springer Associates
- Paul V. Suhey, Orthopedic Surgeon, Martin & Suhey Orthopedics
- Helen D. Wise, Former Deputy Chief of Staff for Programs and Secretary of the Cabinet, Governor's Office
- Boyd E. Wolff, Retired, Owner and Operator Wolfden Farms
- Quentin E. Wood, Retired Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer, Quaker State Corporation
- Edward P. Zemprelli, Attorney
- "Membership Selection". Penn State Board of Trustees. Retrieved August 2, 2009.
- "Committee Memberships & Other Assignments". Penn State Board of Trustees. Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- "Role of the Board of Trustees in University Governance". Penn State Board of Trustees. Retrieved August 2, 2009.
- "Meeting Dates, Agendas, and Minutes". Penn State Board of Trustees. Retrieved August 2, 2009.
- Current Membership, PSU webpage. Retrieved May 12, 2014.