Penn State Erie, The Behrend College
|Pennsylvania State University|
|President||Eric J. Barron|
207 full-time |
|Location||Erie, PA, USA|
|Campus||854 acres (3.46 km2)|
Dark Royal Blue|
|Affiliations||AMCC (NCAA Division III)|
Penn State Behrend (PSB) is a Commonwealth campus of Pennsylvania State University, located in Erie, Pennsylvania. PSB is a four-year university with over 5,000 students and over 250 faculty, in five academic programs: the Schools of Business, Engineering, Humanities and Social Sciences, Science, and the Nursing Program. In addition to bachelor's degrees, PSB offers master's degrees in some programs, and continuing education and non-degree programs.
PSB was founded in 1948, as a branch of Pennsylvania State College. In 1959, PSB became a campus in the new Pennsylvania State University system. In 1973, PSB began to offer bachelor's degrees.
PSB in recent years has added a number of facilities:
- Junker Center for athletics and recreation (2000)
- Mehalso observatory (2000)
- Smith Chapel and Carillon (2001)
- Knowledge Park (2001-2018)
- Baseball and softball complex (2001)
- Jack Burke Research and Economic Development Center (2006) ($30 million, 160,000-square-foot (15,000 m2), housing the School of Engineering and the Sam and Irene Black School of Business. It features teaching and research labs, including the largest academic plastics lab in the United States.)
- Robert and Sally Metzgar Admissions and Alumni Center (2010)
- Yahn Planetarium (2014)
- Soccer and lacrosse complex
- Trippe Hall (2018)
Some of the larger organizations at Penn State Behrend include the Lion Entertainment Board (LEB), the Student Government Association (SGA), the Interfraternity Council (IFC), the Multi-Cultural Council (MCC), and the school newspaper, the Behrend Beacon.
The Lion Entertainment Board is responsible for bringing entertainment to Behrend's student population. There are weekly performances by bands and comedians, and other shows.
The Multi-Cultural Council (MCC) organizes many groups to promote a multi-cultural environment, unity, and cooperation between groups at Behrend. The MCC is prominently located as a student organization in the Reed Union Building, and coordinates celebration of many different events, such as Martin Luther King Week, Hispanic History Month, and Black History Month.
The campus is also home to BVZ Radio ("The Voice Of Behrend"), an online streaming radio station. The station officially launched on 11/11/11 and is managed by a student management team. The current student Station Manager is Nicholas Crandall.
BVZ offers a wide variety of music formats including classic rock, pop, metal, hip-hop, classical, dance, and country. All show programming is produced by students. BVZ often broadcasts live events on the Behrend campus and in the Erie area.
Behrend has a Greek life system. There are four campus recognized social fraternities: Delta Chi, Kappa Delta Rho, Sigma Tau Gamma, and Triangle. There are four campus recognized social sororities: Alpha Sigma Alpha, Alpha Sigma Tau, Theta Phi Alpha, and Phi Sigma Rho. There is one campus recognized professional fraternity: Delta Sigma Pi. Gamma Sigma Sigma, a national service sorority, and Alpha Phi Omega, a national co-ed service fraternity, are also recognized on campus.
Residence Halls are named after individuals and ships who fought for the American side in the Battle of Lake Erie. Most Behrend freshmen live in Lawrence, Niagara or Perry Halls. Some students live in Senat Hall, which is reserved for upperclassmen. Honors students live in Ohio Hall and Almy Hall. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors often opt to live in 8 person/4 bedroom suites in Tiffany, Tigress, and Porcupine Halls.
On-campus apartments are also available at the Behrend Apartments, located in the upper section of the main campus area. These apartment buildings include Ariel Hall, Caledonia Hall, Champlin Hall, Elliott Hall, Packet Hall, Scorpion Hall, Somers Hall, Turner Hall, and Yarnall Hall.
There are six on-campus dining facilities:
- Dobbins Dining is the campus's main dining hall, serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as daily specials.
- Bruno's Café is an on-campus café where students can get all types of food and drinks for dine-in or to-go. It is located in the Reed Union Building and has wireless internet access for students. There is often live entertainment on weekends.
- Paw's coffee shop offers coffee drinks, pastries, treats, and Penn State Berkey Creamery ice cream.
- The Galley is a small convenience store, where students can buy packaged food items and other necessities.
- Clark Café offers a variety of sandwiches, wraps, salads, and drinks. Clark also provides students with wireless internet access.
- Elements is a food cart offering assorted beverages and snacks for limited hours in the Science complex.
Penn State Behrend men and women compete as the Behrend Lions in 13 varsity sports. Penn State Behrend is a member of NCAA Division III, the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC), and the Eastern College Athletic Conference.
- Cross country
- Indoor track
- Water polo
- Cross country
- Indoor track
- Water polo
Students also participate in four intercollegiate club teams, competing in ice hockey, rugby, and men's and women's lacrosse. The ice hockey team plays in the College Hockey East league and is a member of the ACHA.
Knowledge Park is a 200-acre (0.81 km2) research and development area located on the campus of Penn State Behrend in a park-like setting. The park enables knowledge-based organizations to take advantage of the college's intellectual and physical resources as well as the resources of other colleges and universities in the region.
Points of interest
- College History
- "About the College". psu.edu. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Visual and Editorial Style Manual | Graphic Identity System". Ur.psu.edu. Retrieved September 3, 2011.
- "Historical Timeline - Penn State Behrend". psu.edu. Archived from the original on 2016-10-14. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Plastics Engineering Technology". psu.edu. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Join a Student Organization - Penn State Student Affairs". www.clubs.psu.edu. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Welcome to Phi Sigma Rho - Phi Sigma Rho". www.phisigmarho.org. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- Fraternity and Sorority Life at Penn State Behrend
- "Honors Housing". psu.edu. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Campus Dining - Behrend - Housing & Food Services". behrendcampusliving.psu.edu. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Penn St.-Behrend". Penn St.-Behrend. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- Penn State Behrend website
- Penn State Behrend Virtual Tour
- Penn State Behrend athletics website
- John M. Lilley Library
- Knowledge Park at Penn State Behrend
- Penn State Behrend, Residence Hall Help Desk
- USNews entry on Behrend
- Pennsylvania Mentor: Penn State Behrend
- Penn State Behrend Dining and Meal Plans