Pennfield Senior High School
|Pennfield High School|
8299 Pennfield Road|
Battle Creek, Michigan 49017
|School type||Public high school|
|Enrollment||651 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||20.7:1|
|Color(s)||Green, Gold and White|
|Athletics conference||Interstate 8|
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 651 students and 31.4 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 20.7:1. There were 185 students (28.4% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 27 (4.1% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Scores on the state and national ACT exam are above average for the students of this school.
- Football - Varsity, JV, Freshmen
- Lacrosse - Varsity
- Men's Basketball - Varsity, JV, Freshmen
- Women's Basketball - Varsity, JV, Freshmen
- Men's and Women's Cross Country - Varsity, JV
- Volleyball - Varsity, JV, Freshmen
- Wrestling - Varsity, JV
- Baseball - Varsity, JV, Freshmen
- Softball - Varsity, JV
- Football Cheerleading - Varsity, JV
- Basketball Cheerleading - Varsity, JV
- Competitive Cheerleading - Varsity, JV
- Men's & Women's Track and Field - Varsity
- Men's & Women's Bowling - Varsity, JV
- Men's & Women's Soccer - Varsity, JV
- Men's & Women's Tennis - Varsity, JV
In 1991, Pennfield won the state title in football. In 1981, Pennfield High School won the Class C state volleyball championships, following up on its 1979 class B championship, making it the first school in Michigan to win state championships in two classes. The girls basketball team's 1981 championship made it the first Class C school (and second school in the state) to win girls' basketball and volleyball titles in the same school year. In 1992 Pennfield won the MHSAA state title in wrestling.
- Lance Barber (born 1972/1973, class of 1991), television actor
- Randy Erskine (born 1948, class of 1966), professional golfer
- Rob Van Dam (born 1970, class of 1989; born Robert Alexander Szatkowski), professional wrestler who currently wrestles for WWE
- School data for Pennfield Senior High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- "Out of Our Past", Battle Creek Enquirer, March 22, 2006
- Carlson, Chuck. "Lance Barber finds a home in television", Battle Creek Enquirer, November 14, 2014. Accessed September 26, 2017. "And while Barber, a 1991 Pennfield High grad and a Barn Theatre alumnus, has known since he was 7 what he wanted to do, he takes nothing for granted."
- Kowalski, Will. "Erskine retires as Michigan PGA club pro", Battle Creek Enquirer, October 19, 2014. Accessed September 26, 2017. "Pretty much every summer since 1998, 1966 Pennfield High and 1970 University of Michigan grad Randy Erskine has made a trek back to Bedford Valley Golf Club to compete in the Michigan PGA Senior Open golf tournament."
- "Pennfield graduate has hold on WWE", Battle Creek Enquirer, July 19, 2002. Accessed September 26, 2017. "The 1989 Pennfield High School graduate, now known as Rob Van Dam, was planning on a homecoming appearance this weekend with World Wrestling Entertainment at the local venue, but the event was canceled."