Pennington Gap, Virginia
|Pennington Gap, Virginia|
Morgan Street downtown
Location of Pennington Gap, Virginia
|• Total||1.5 sq mi (3.9 km2)|
|• Land||1.5 sq mi (3.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,388 ft (423 m)|
|• Density||1,174.0/sq mi (453.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1486137|
The Pennington Gap post office was established in 1891.
Pennington Gap is located at (36.756580, -83.029375).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.5 square miles (3.9 km²), all of it land.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Pennington Gap has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps. 
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,781 people, 811 households, and 480 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,174.0 people per square mile (452.4/km²). There were 950 housing units at an average density of 626.2 per square mile (241.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 95.28% White, 3.43% African American, 0.39% Native American, 0.28% Asian, and 0.62% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.67% of the population.
There were 811 households out of which 22.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 40.4% were married couples living together, 16.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.8% were non-families. 37.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.15 and the average family size was 2.84.
In the town, the population was spread out with 20.5% under the age of 18, 7.2% from 18 to 24, 25.4% from 25 to 44, 25.3% from 45 to 64, and 21.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 81.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 74.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $18,056, and the median income for a family was $27,875. Males had a median income of $27,885 versus $18,625 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,742. About 28.3% of families and 31.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 42.0% of those under age 18 and 24.7% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
Lee County Public Schools operates schools in the county.
Pennington Elementary School was located on Morgan Avenue, consisting of three buildings built at various times, 1912, 1917, and 1937.
In 1989, with the consolidation of many of the county's high schools at the newly constructed Lee High School, the old Pennington High School was converted into Pennington Middle School (grades 6–8).
- Barry Audia, former pro boxer
- Jim Pankovits, pro baseball player
- William C. Wampler, representative to the United States Congress
- Carol S. Wood, mathematician
- Claude Ely, clergy and songwriter
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Lee County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Pennington Gap, Virginia
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "USP Lee Contact Information." Federal Bureau of Prisons. Retrieved on August 23, 2010.