Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association
|Founder||John L. Stewart|
The Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association is a trade group serving newspapers in Pennsylvania. The PNA seeks to "advance the business interests of Pennsylvania news media companies" and protect the "free and independent press." It represents Pennsylvania newsmedia interests in the legislature, provides public educational services, and acts as an information clearinghouse.
The name was changed to Pennsylvania Newspaper Association (PNA) in the late 1990s to deemphasize the association's relationship with publishing management. In November 2012, the name was changed to the present Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association (NPA), "to better represent our membership and reflect the media companies that many of our members have already become." It is affiliated with the National Newspaper Association (NNA) and the Newspaper Association of America (NAA).
The organizational structure is threefold, with two other entities complementing the association itself. The PNA Foundation, an independent, non-profit corporation organized as a public foundation, provides PNA members with a wide range of low-cost and innovative training opportunities, typically offering as many as 40 seminars per year and training nearly 800 newspaper staffers in Harrisburg and around the state. Mid-Atlantic Newspaper Services, Inc. (MANSI), the PNA's wholly owned, for-profit subsidiary, sells classified and display advertising into PNA-member newspapers.
When merited, PNA presents the "Bill Northrop Award for distinguished work supporting freedom of information." In 2002, PNA honored retired Publisher Bill Northrop of the Observer Publishing Co. in Washington, Pa. by naming this freedom of information award after him. The first recipients were state Representatives John Maher and Chuck McIlhinney.
- "History". Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association. Archived from the original on 2014-03-13.
- "Mission Statement". Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association. Archived from the original on 2013-11-26.
- Text on the John L. Stewart Tower at the former McIlvane Hall at Washington & Jefferson College
- "Pennsylvania Newspaper Association Pushing for More Open Records". Editor and Publisher. 30 April 2007.[permanent dead link]
- Jackson, Peter (April 3, 2009). "Pennsylvania Newspaper Association Hits State Agency". Editor & Publisher. Nielsen Business Media, Inc.
The Pennsylvania Newspaper Association helped lead the lobbying for changes to strengthen the state's Right-to-Know Law[permanent dead link]
- "News Group Wants Records Unsealed". Reading Eagle. Pennsylvania Newspaper Association. 27 March 2004.
- "Keystone Press Awards". Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association. Archived from the original on 2014-03-14.
- "List of PNA Contests and Awards". Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association. Archived from the original on 2014-03-13.
- "Bill Northrop Award Description". Pa-newspaper.org. Archived from the original on 2012-04-21. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- "Honoring the Leaders of Reform," Press, the official journal of the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association, February 2003.
- "Lifetime Achievement Award". Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association. Archived from the original on 2014-03-11. Retrieved 2014-03-10.