Penn State Erie, The Behrend College
|Pennsylvania State University|
|President||Eric J. Barron|
|Location||Erie, PA, USA|
|Campus||854 acres (3.46 km2)|
Dark Royal Blue|
|Affiliations||AMCC (NCAA Division III)|
Penn State Behrend is a state-related public university institution and a Commonwealth campus of Pennsylvania State University located in Erie, Pennsylvania. The college in recent years has added a number of facilities, including an athletics and recreation center (Junker Center), chapel and carillon (Smith Chapel), astronomy observatory, planetarium (Yahn Planetarium at Penn State Behrend), large residence halls (Ohio and Almy Halls), Knowledge Park at Penn State Behrend, a baseball and softball complex, and a soccer and lacrosse complex. The $30 million, 160,000-square-foot (15,000 m2) Jack Burke Research and Economic Development Center that houses the School of Engineering and the Sam and Irene Black School of Business opened in 2006. It features teaching and research labs, including the largest academic plastics lab in the United States. In 2010, the $4 million Robert and Sally Metzgar Admissions and Alumni Center opened.
Some of the larger organizations at Penn State Behrend include the Lion Entertainment Board (LEB), the Student Government Association (SGA), the Interfraternity Council (IFC), the Multi-Cultural Council (MCC), and the school newspaper, the Behrend Beacon.
The Lion Entertainment Board is responsible for bringing entertainment to Behrend's student population. There are weekly bands, comedians, and other shows.
The Multi-Cultural Council(MCC) organizes many groups to promote a multi-cultural environment, unity, and cooperation between groups at Behrend. The MCC is prominently located as a student organization in the Reed Union Building, and coordinates celebration of many different events, such as Martin Luther King Week, Hispanic and Black History Month.
The campus is also home to BVZ Radio - The Voice Of Behrend, an Online streaming radio station. www
BVZ offers a wide variety of music formats including classic rock, pop, hip-hop, classical, dance and country. All show programming is produced by students. BVZ often hosts live events on The Behrend Campus and in The Erie Area.
Behrend has a Greek life system. There are four campus recognized social fraternities: Delta Chi, Kappa Delta Rho, Sigma Tau Gamma, and Triangle. There are four campus recognized social sororities: Alpha Sigma Alpha, Alpha Sigma Tau and Theta Phi Alpha, and Phi Sigma Rho. There is one campus recognized professional fraternity: Delta Sigma Pi. There is also Gamma Sigma Sigma, a national service sorority, and Alpha Phi Omega, a national co-ed service fraternity, that are also recognized on campus.
Residence Halls are named after individuals and ships who fought for the American side in the Battle of Lake Erie. Most Behrend freshmen live in Lawrence, Niagara or Perry Halls. Some students live in Senat Hall, which is reserved for upperclassmen. Honors students live in Ohio Hall and Almy Hall. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors often opt to live in 8 person/4 bedroom suites in Tiffany, Tigress, and Porcupine Halls.
On-campus apartments are also available at the Behrend Apartments, located in the upper section of the main campus area. These apartment buildings include Ariel Hall, Caledonia Hall, Champlin Hall, Elliott Hall, Packet Hall, Scorpion Hall, Somers Hall, Turner Hall, and Yarnall Hall.
There are six on-campus dining facilities:
- Dobbins Dining is the campus's main dining hall consisting of all you can eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as daily specials.
- Bruno's Café is an on-campus café where students can get all types of food and drinks for dine-in or to-go. It is located in the Reed Union Building and has wireless internet access for students. There is often live entertainment on weekends.
- Paw's coffee shop offers coffee drinks, pastries, treats, and Penn State Berkey Creamery ice cream.
- The Galley is a small convenience store, where students can buy packaged food items and other necessities.
- Clark Café offers a variety of sandwiches, wraps, salads, and drinks. Clark also provides students with wireless internet access.
- Elements is a food cart offering assorted beverages and snacks for limited hours in the Science complex.
Known as the Behrend Lions, Penn State Behrend men and women can compete in 11 varsity sports . Penn State Behrend is a member of the NCAA Division III, Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) and Eastern College Athletic Conference.
- Cross country
- Indoor track
- Water polo
- Wrestling (to be added in 2017)
- Bowling (to be added in 2017)
- Cross country
- Indoor track
- Water polo
Students also participate in four intercollegiate club teams, competing in ice hockey, rugby, and men's/women's lacrosse. The ice hockey team plays in the College Hockey East league and is a member of the ACHA.
Knowledge Park is a 200-acre (0.81 km2) research and development area located on the campus of Penn State Behrend in a park-like setting. The park enables knowledge-based organizations to take advantage of the college's intellectual and physical resources as well as the resources of other colleges and universities in the region.
Points of interest
- "Visual and Editorial Style Manual | Graphic Identity System". Ur.psu.edu. Retrieved September 3, 2011.
- Historical Timeline | Penn State Behrend
- Multi-Cultural Council
- Penn State Behrend - Housing and Food Services
- Penn State Behrend website
- Penn State Behrend Virtual Tour
- Penn State Behrend athletics website
- John M. Lilley Library
- Knowledge Park at Penn State Behrend
- Penn State Behrend, Residence Hall Help Desk
- USNews Statistics on Behrend
- Pennsylvania Mentor: Penn State Behrend
- Penn State Behrend Dining and Meal Plans