|Bishop of Dunedin|
|Church||Anglican Church of New Zealand|
|Diocese||Diocese of Dunedin|
|In office||1989 - 2004|
|Consecration||29 June 1990|
|Birth name||Penelope Ann Bansall Allen|
|Born||21 June 1942|
Chalfont St Giles, Buckinghamshire, England
|Education||Wycombe High School|
|Alma mater||University of Edinburgh |
Victoria University of Wellington
Penelope Ann Bansall "Penny" Jamieson, DCNZM (née Allen; born 21 June 1942) is a retired Anglican bishop. She was the seventh Bishop of Dunedin in the Anglican Church of New Zealand from 1989 until her retirement in 2004. Jamieson was the second woman in the world to hold the position of bishop in the Anglican Communion and the first to be elected a diocesan bishop.
Born in Chalfont St Giles, Buckinghamshire, England in 1942, Jamieson attended Wycombe High School and studied linguistics at the University of Edinburgh, before moving to New Zealand, her husband's country of birth. She worked at the Wellington Inner City Mission while completing her doctoral thesis at Victoria University.
In 1990 she was elected to head the country's southernmost diocese, the Diocese of Dunedin. She was consecrated a bishop on 29 June 1990. She was challenged by the power-structures of a predominantly male institution and spoke publicly about the difficulties of being the world's first woman diocesan bishop. At her retirement, after 14 years as Bishop of Dunedin, Jamieson expressed her regret that no other woman had been elected a bishop in New Zealand.
She is married to Ian Jamieson.
In the 2004 Queen's Birthday Honours, Jamieson was appointed a Distinguished Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit (DCNZM) for services to the community.
- "World's first female diocesan Anglican bishop appointed". New Zealand History. History Group of the New Zealand Ministry for Culture and Heritage. Retrieved 12 July 2015.[dead link]
- Anglican Communion Directory, March 2000
- "The Queen's Birthday Honours 2004" (11 June 2009) 69 New Zealand Gazette 1635.
- Crockfords (London, Church House, 1995) ISBN 0-7151-8088-6
- Who's Who 2008: London, A & C Black, 2008 ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- "Living at the Edge: sacrament and solidarity in leadership" Jamieson, P.A.B London, Mowbray 1997 ISBN 0-264-67439-1
|Anglican Communion titles|
| Bishop of Dunedin