Penrhyndeudraeth railway station
|Managed by||Transport for Wales|
|Number of platforms||1|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Aberystwyth and Welsh Coast Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|2 September 1867||Opened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
Penrhyndeudraeth railway station is a railway station serving the small town of Penrhyndeudraeth on the Dwyryd Estuary in Gwynedd, Wales. It is a station on the Cambrian Coast Railway with services between Shrewsbury and Pwllheli via Machynlleth.
The railway line between Machynlleth and Pwllheli was authorised to be built by the Aberystwyth and Welsh Coast Railway (A&WCR) on 22 July 1861. During construction, the A&WCR amalgamated with the Cambrian Railways, this being authorised on 5 July 1865 and effective from 5 August 1866. The section between Barmouth and Afon Wen opened on 2 September 1867, and Penrhyndeudraeth station opened the same day.
Trains call here every two hours (approximately) on weekdays. Most southbound trains continue beyond Shrewsbury to Birmingham New Street and Birmingham International. 3 trains each way call in the summer on Sundays, but just one each way in winter.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Transport for Wales|
Cambrian Coast Line
Line and station open
|Aberystwyth and Welsh Coast Railway
Line and station open
- Awdry, Christopher (1990). Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies. London: Guild Publishing. CN 8983.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Kidner, R.W. (1992) . The Cambrian Railways. The Oakwood Library of Railway History (2nd ed.). Headington: Oakwood Press. ISBN 0-85361-439-3. OL55.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
Media related to Penrhyndeudraeth railway station at Wikimedia Commons
- Train times and station information for Penrhyndeudraeth railway station from National Rail
- RAILSCOT on Aberystwith and Welsh Coast Railway
|This Wales railway station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|