|Headquarters||Seoul, Republic of Korea|
|Australia, China, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippine, Rwanda, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, United States (Alphabetical Order)|
Number of employees
Penta Security Systems Inc. (Korean: 펜타시큐리티시스템㈜) is an information technology (IT) security firm headquartered in Seoul, South Korea. Penta Security offers web application security, database security, and single sign-on solutions.
Establishment and growth
Founded in 1997 by Seokwoo Lee, and headquartered in Seoul, South Korea, Penta Security Systems Inc. is a provider of web application security products and core technology, with more than 3,100 installed customers in government, large enterprise, small and medium business, education, and finance and medical institutions.
Subsidiaries and international expansion
The three branches (Penta Security Systems, Inc., Penta Security Systems K.K and Penta Security Co.) are focused the IT security needs and requirements of South Korea to Japan (2009), Thailand (2010), Malaysia (2011), Singapore (2010) Taiwan (2011), Australia (2011), Indonesia (2011), Rwanda (2013), and the United States (2013)
Security R&D center
Penta Security has a research and development center, so that researchers can conduct independent technology studies for the company. The R&D center has over 70 research specialists, a large portion of its complete workforce. Penta Security also fosters potential future information security officers by hiring employees from vocational high schools and university collaboration programs for its R&D center.
- Seokwoo Greg Lee (CEO/Founder)
- Duk Soo Kim (Executive Director)
- Gi Seung Kim (CFO)
- Jaeson Yoo (SVP of Business Development)
WAPPLES is a Web Application Firewall (WAF) that uses a logical analysis based engine rather than the traditional pattern matching method. The engine uses a system of 26 rules to execute logical traffic. Using this method, the WAF claims to have lower false positive rates than WAFs from competitors. The product has been certified by ICSA Labs, and is EAL4-CC and PCI-DSS certified. Although a hardware appliance, the product also supports virtual appliances for cloud environments.
D'Amo is an encryption solution with multiple components that are optimized for different layers and environments. Using a FIPS-approved encryption algorithm, the solution claims to be Korea's first standardized encryption algorithm and also CC EAL3+ Certified key management server. Different components will protect data through different levels of the IT-infrastructure (application, system, network layers).
Cloudbric is Security-as-a-service (SECaaS) model that provides website protection at a low cost utilizing the WAPPLES' COCEP engine. The product won 2016's Best SME Security Solution at SC Magazine Awards UK.
- In 2003, Penta Security was awarded by the South Korean government for completing the e-Government project
- In 2006, D’Amo received the GS (Good Software) Certification from the Telecommunications Technology Association of Korea
- In 2007, WAPPLES received the GS (Good Software) Certification from the Telecommunications Technology Association of Korea
- In 2008, WAPPLES received the Intelligent Product Award from South Korea’s Intelligent Information System Society
- In 2009, WAPPLES received the Grand Prize in New Software Product from the South Korean Ministry of Knowledge and Economy
- In 2009, WAPPLES acquired a Certificate of Compliance to PCI-DSS ver. 1.2 Requirement 6.6'
- In 2009, Penta Security received the "Prime Minister’s Award" in the New Technology Commercialization category from the Korean Ministry of Knowledge and Economy
- In 2010, WAPPLES received the Grand Prize at the 9th Korea Software Competitiveness Awards
- In 2010, Seokwoo Lee was honored in the Senior Information Security Professional category at the International Information System Security Certification Consortium (ISC)² Fourth Asia-Pacific Information Security Leadership Achievements Program.
- In 2010, WAPPLES earned the IPv6 Ready Silver Logo (IPv6)
- In 2011, Penta Security became a member of the Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP)
- Penta Security's database security solution, D’Amo 2.3, received SAP certification
- In 2014, WAPPLES received the "Web Application Firewall of the Year" from Frost & Sullivan for the second year in a row
- In 2015, WAPPLES received ICSA Labs WAF Certification
- In 2016, Penta Security received the title of "2016 Asian Cyber Security Vendor of the Year" by Frost & Sullivan
- Penta Security Systems was founded
- ISSAC, Penta Security’s data encryption solution, was introduced
- Siren, an intrusion detection system, was introduced
- Penta Security Lab was founded
- Penta Security launched the first database security business in South Korea
- Penta Security introduced their ISign EAM solution
- D’Amo, Penta Security’s database security solution, was introduced
- Penta Security extended sales of D’Amo to Japan
- WAPPLES, Penta Security’s web application firewall (web application security) product, was introduced
- Penta Security established a local office in Akasaka, Tokyo, Japan
- D’Amo for SQL servers was introduced
- D’Amo for DB2 was introduced
- The official Japanese subsidiary branch, Penta Security Systems K.K., was incorporated
- WAPPLES V-Series, Penta Security’s cloud computing-based web application firewall (web application security), was introduced
- PKI solution, ISign+, was introduced in June 2011
- Penta Security's database security solution, D’Amo 2.3, received SAP certification
- Penta Security releases MyDiamo, an advanced encryption suite for open source database, MySQL.
- Penta Security celebrated its 15th anniversary
- WAPPLES was granted a Japanese patent for its algorithm-based, application-layer attack detection engine.
- MyDiamo, engine–level encryption solutions, launched for MySQL and MariaDB
- Real-time web application firewall inspection service WMP (WAPPLES Management Portal) start
- Japan’s cloud-type web application firewall service WCSP (WAPPLES Cloud Service Platform) launch
- Korea’s first vehicle communication security technology acquisition (Full implementation of IEEE 1609.2 standard and apply the test best)
- The official United States subsidiary, Penta Security Systems Corporation was incorporated.
- WAPPLES continues to lead in the Asia Pacific market for third consecutive year
- WAPPLES received ICSA Labs WAF Certification
- IT Security
- Computer security
- Network security
- Economy of South Korea
- List of Korean companies
- List of Korea-related topics
- Web application firewall
- Bloomberg Businessweek. "Penta Security Systems, Inc. Snapshot" Retrieved on 7 November 2011.
- Bloomberg Businessweek. "Penta Security Systems Inc. Executive Profile: Seokwoo Lee" Retrieved on 7 November 2011
- "Penta Security Systems, Inc." Retrieved on 7 November 2011
-  Retrieved on 17 June 2014
- "PR Web". PR Web. June 13, 2016. Retrieved October 7, 2016.
- TTA인증제품목록 "인증기업 및 제품 상세보기: D'Amo" Retrieved on 7 November 2011
- TTA인증제품목록 "인증기업 및 제품 상세보기: WAPPLES" Retrieved on 7 November 2011
- Korean Information Security Industry Portal "Penta Security, Web fire Wall WAPPLES received the GS certificate" Retrieved on 16 November 2011
- Korea Intelligent Information System Society "학술논문상" Retrieved on 7 November 2011
- etnews.com "신SW 상품대상 3월·4월 수상작 일반 및 임베디드 SW 부문" 30 April 2009, Retrieved 22 November 2011
- JCN Newswire, "Penta Security’s Web Application Firewall, WAPPLES, Awarded PCI DSS Certification in Japan" Published 15 December 2009, Retrieved on 7 November 2011.
- boannews.com "펜타시큐리티, 2009 신기술실용화 국무총리 표창 수상" by Jeongwon Kim, 7 November 2009, Retrieved 22 November 2011
- etnews.com "대한민국 SW기업 경쟁력 대상 SW의 금메달리스트들, 세계 향해 날차기" by Insoon Kim, 24 February 2010, Retrieved 22 November 2011
- (ISC)² "News for Immediate Release" by Kitty Chung, 15 July 2010, retrieved on 15 November 2011.
- IPv6Ready.org "Details of Logo 01-000553" Retrieved on 23 November 2011.
- OWASP The Open Web Application Security Project, "Membership", Retrieved on 17 November 2011
- Digital Times "ERP DB암호화 펜타시큐리티시스템 디아모" 24 October 2011, Retrieved 22 November 2011
- SAP "Partner Information Solution Details" 8 Aug 2011, Retrieved 5 December 2011
- boannews.com "펜타시큐리티,'2014 올해의 웹방화벽'부문 수상" by 김태형, 2014년 6월 23일
- "WAPPLES | ICSA Labs". www.icsalabs.com. Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- Korea Information Security Industry Portal "Penta Security Systems, Inc. Company Info" Retrieved on 15 November 2011.
- Naver News "로그인 한번으로 수십개 전산시스템 접속..'싱글사이온' 선봬" by T.W. Kim, 23 May 2001, Retrieved 22 Nov 2011
- Naver News "펜타시큐리티, 공무원 인증서 발급용 최상위 인증기관 (GPKI RootCA) 구축" by Hyeona Kim, 9 September 2002, Retrieved 22 November 2011
- Naver News "펜타시큐리티시스템, DB 보안솔루션 출시" by Dongjun Jang, 29 March 2004, Retrieved 22 November 2011
- Digital Daily "펜타시큐리티, SQL서버 DB정보 보안 솔루션 출시" by Yuji Lee, 30 October 2006, Retrieved 22 November 2011
- Digital Times "펜타시큐리티, HW 일체형 DB보안 솔루션 출시" by Hongseok Lee, 9 June 2008, Retrieved 22 November 2011
- Digital Times "펜타시큐리티, 일 지사 설립" by Jingyu Kang, 9 February 2009, Retrieved 22 November 2011
- boannews.com "펜타시큐리티, 웹방화벽 ‘와플’ 4개 모델 CC인증 획득" by Jeongwon Kim, 21 June 2010, Retrieved 22 November 2011
- Quantiq International "Penta Security Launches WAPPLES V-Series, a virtual version of its market-leading Web Application Firewall (web application security) for Cloud Computing" Published 31 October 2011, Retrieved 15 November 2011.
- Asta Muse World Knowledge Agent  "ウェブアプリケーション攻撃の検知方法" Retrieved 22 February 2012
- "Frost & Sullivan: Penta Security, Imperva, F5 Networks and NSFOCUS identified as champions in the Asia Pacific Web Application Firewall Frost IQ matrix". Frost & Sullivan. Retrieved 2016-03-31.