R-245fa; HFC-245fa; Enovate 3000; Genetron 245fa; AC1Q4KND; UNII-TA9UOF49CY
|Jmol 3D model||Interactive image|
|Molar mass||134.05 g·mol−1|
|Density||1404.1 kg/m3 (liquid at 1 bar, 0 °C)
5.84 kg/m3 (vapor at 1 bar, 15 °C)
|Boiling point||15.3 °C (59.5 °F; 288.4 K)|
|Main hazards||Simple Asphyxiant|
|Flash point||−24.963 °C (−12.933 °F; 248.187 K)|
|412 °C (774 °F; 685 K)|
Except where otherwise noted, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C [77 °F], 100 kPa).
1,1,1,3,3-Pentafluoropropane (HFC-245fa) is a hydrofluorocarbon used primarily for closed-cell spray foam insulation produced by Honeywell and in Asia by Sinochem. Honeywell markets HFC-245fa under the Enovate and Genetron 245fa brand names. HFC-245fa is also known as pentafluoropropane and by its chemical name 1,1,1,3,3,-pentafluoropropane. Unlike CFC and HCFC blowing agents formerly used for this purpose, it has no ozone depletion potential and is nearly non-toxic. Although it is intended to remain trapped within the foam insulation, it is practically non biodegradable with a lifetime of 7.2 years when it eventually does escape into the atmosphere. It does have a high global warming potential of 950 (950 times the global warming effect of CO2). Honeywell refers to this as "acceptable" in their literature, but they don't include the actual number.
AlliedSignal, who adopted the Honeywell name after acquiring it, decided in 1999 to provide a non ozone depleting blowing agent as an alternative for dichlorofluoroethane (HCFC-141b) and trichlorofluoromethane (CFC-11). Competitors Atofina and General Electric pursued strategies using other agents. One of the disadvantages of R-245fa is its cost. In 2000 R-141b cost one US dollar per pound, whereas R-245fa cost $2.50 to $4.00 per pound. As of 2007, and prior to Sinochem's production it was already a high volume production chemical, with over 1 million pounds produced annually.
- 1,1,1,3,3-pentafluoropropane - CAS # 460-73-1, Columbia Analytical Services, retrieved May 2012 Check date values in:
- Isobaric Properties for 1,1,1,3,3-Pentafluoropropane (R245fa), National Institute of Standards and Technology, retrieved May 2012 Check date values in:
- Genetron 245fa Material Safety Data Sheet (PDF), Honeywell, September 2000, MSDS Number: GTRN-0040, retrieved May 29, 2012
- Sinochem and Honeywell Announce Formation of Joint Venture in China, Sinochem Group, October 10, 2011
- HFC-245fa- Product Stewardship Summary (PDF), Honeywell, December 2007, retrieved May 13, 2012
- Other Gases: Hydrofluorocarbons, Perfluorocarbons, and Sulfur Hexafluoride, U.S. Energy Information Administration, retrieved May 13, 2012
- JACC 044 : 1,1,1,3,3-pentafluoropropane (HFC-245fa) (CAS No. 460-73-1), European Centre for Ecotoxicology, June 2004, retrieved May 13, 2012
- McCoy, Michael (October 30, 2000), "Regulatory Issues Heat Up For Blowing Agents", Chemical and Engineering News Online, 78 (44): 22–23, ISSN 0009-2347