The Pentax MZ-S is a 35mm single-lens reflex camera from Pentax of Japan. It was introduced in 2001 and discontinued in February 2006. It is closely related to the prototype MZ-D Full-frame digital SLR, which never entered production. It was the top-of-the-line model of Pentax's MZ/ZX series and replaced the PZ-1p as the high-end Pentax camera. No camera was produced to replace the MZ-S, making it Pentax's last high-end 35 mm camera. The MZ-S is the last film camera from Pentax that is manufactured in Japan.
The MZ-S was a "clean sheet of paper" design that re-thought most aspects of Pentax's camera interface and appearance. Design goals included simpler operation, small size and light weight without sacrificing the sophisticated features required to be competitive. The MZ-S design returned to a more conventional one compared to the PZ-1p; the shoe for external flash and accessories returned to the top of the pentaprism housing, instead of the unusual right-handgrip position used on the older camera. The status LCD moved from atop the pentaprism to the top of the camera's right side (viewed from the rear), like many competing designs. However, instead of a flat camera top, the Pentax designers angled the top plate towards the user at a 30° angle for easier viewing.
The camera featured an autofocus system based on six linear CCD sensors, on-film data recording and an MTF autoexposure mode which chooses the aperture for maximum sharpness.
- Pentax. "History of Innovations 2000-Present". Retrieved 2006-09-18.
- Grad, Orin (2006-02-12). "Pentax Holds a Product Massacre Too". The Online Photographer. Retrieved 2006-09-18. Cites Japanese-language sources.
- Asahi Optical Historical Club (2000-10-20). "Cameras". photokina 2002 report. Retrieved 2006-09-18.
- Dimitrov, Bojidar. "Z-1p / PZ-1p". K-Mount Pages. Archived from the original on 2007-01-23. Retrieved 2006-09-18.
- Asahi Optical Historical Club. "MZ-S Story". Retrieved 2006-09-18.
- Pentax. "Introducing the MZ-S professional...the new flagship of the Pentax SLR line" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on March 14, 2005. Retrieved 2006-09-25.
- Popular Photography staff (November 2001). "Pentax MZ-S". Popular Photography & Imaging. Archived from the original on March 4, 2009. Retrieved 2006-09-25.
- Fadner, W.L. (May 2002). "The Pentax MZ S Professional Camera". Shutterbug. Retrieved 2006-09-25.
- Pentax (2001). "Pentax MZ-S Operating Manual". Retrieved 2012-08-02.