People's Movement Party
|People's Movement Party|
|Partidul Mișcarea Populară|
|President||Eugen Tomac (interim)|
|General Secretary||Clement Negruţ|
|Founded||January 29, 2014|
|Headquarters||Strada Iorga nr. 11, Sector 1, Bucharest|
|Youth wing||People's Movement Party Youth Organization (OT PMP)|
|Women's wing||PMP Women's Organization|
|European affiliation||European People's Party|
|European Parliament group||European People's Party|
1 / 171
|Chamber of Deputies||
13 / 401
1 / 32
|Politics of Romania
The People's Movement Party (Romanian: Partidul Mișcarea Populară, PMP) is a political party in Romania. It was created as a political foundation in March 2013 by supporters of then president Traian Băsescu, following his break with the leadership of the Democratic Liberal Party around former Senate speaker Vasile Blaga. It was transformed into a political party in July 2013 and re-launched on 29 January 2014.
The PMP identifies itself as Christian democratic and liberal. The new party's chairman after June 2014 was former minister of regional development and tourism and Băsescu's confidante Elena Udrea. Other notable members include former culture minister Theodor Paleologu, former foreign minister Teodor Baconschi, former minister of education Daniel Funeriu, member of European Parliament (MEP) Cristian Preda, Băsescu's daughter and MEP Elena Băsescu. and former Foreign Minister and head of the presidential administration Cristian Diaconescu.
In the 2014 European Parliament election, the party won 6.2% of the votes and two of Romania's 32 seats. Its Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) joined the Christian-democratic group of the European People's Party. On 12 September 2014, the PMP was admitted as a full member to the European People's Party.
For the November 2014 presidential election, the PMP nominated Elena Udrea. She was also endorsed by the Christian Democratic National Peasants' Party (PNȚCD). With 5.2% of the popular vote, she was placed fourth and did not qualify for the second round. The party asked its voters to support Klaus Iohannis (PNL) in the runoff election.
- "Udrea s-a autosuspendat din funcţia de preşedinte PMP. Interimatul, asigurat de Tomac". Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- "Cati membri au partidele din Romania. Ce partid a pierdut din adepti". 10 September 2014. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- Daniela Baragan (8 April 2013), Basescu ever closer to the People’s Movement, PDL takes distance from him, NineO'Clock.ro
- Popular Movement Party (PMP) officially registered, ActMedia.eu, 24 July 2013
- Alina Grigoras (29 January 2014), People’s Movement Party aims re-launching, NineO'Clock.ro
- Alina Grigoras (9 February 2014), Basescu starts electoral offensive through Popular Movement, NineO'Clock.ro
- Elena Băsescu s-a înscris în PMP, dar NU va candida la europarlamentare. Cum s-a încurcat EBA la „testul electoral”, Gândul.info, 24 March 2014
- Cristian Diaconescu joins PMP, NineOclock.Ro, 20 May 2014
- "EPP concerned over actions of radical Islamic militant groups and over latest political developments in Romania; welcomes five new member parties". European People's Party. 12 September 2014.
- "Udrea ultim îndemn către electoratul PMP pentru a vota cu Iohannis". PaginadePolitică.ro. 15 November 2014.