People's Youth (Portugal)
|President||Francisco Rodrigues dos Santos|
|Secretary General||Francisco Kreye|
|Founded||September 18, 1974|
5 Largo Adelino Amaro da Costa |
|Mother party||Democratic and Social Centre – People's Party|
|International affiliation||International Young Democrat Union|
Democrat Youth Community of Europe |
European Young Conservatives
The People's Youth (Portuguese: Juventude Popular) is a Portuguese political youth organisation. It is an autonomous organisation affiliated to the Democratic and Social Centre – People's Party (CDS–PP).
Francisco Rodrigues dos Santos was elected President of the People's Youth on 13 December 2015, in Peniche.
By 2018, the People's Youth has an estimated membership of over 21 000.
Gonçalo Begonha Policy Institute
The Gonçalo Begonha Studies Office (Gabinete de Estudos Gonçalo Begonha) is policy institute responsible for political and ideological formation within the People's Youth. It was named after Gonçalo Botelho Gomes Begonha (born 14 September 1980), who was an important member of the People's Youth and a member of its board for several times. Additionally, Gonçalo Begonha was an important municipal leader of the People's Youth until his premature death in the summer of 2003. Due to Begonha's love for books and culture, his name was given to the Studies Offices of the People's Youth.
According to the statutes of the People's Youth, the GEGB is the organization responsible not only with the political and ideological formation of its members, but also with supporting the Youth with the technical support needed for its proposals and projects. Its functions include the following:
- Develop the needed research to promote and sustain the political intervention of the People's Youth;
- Promote debate inside and outside the organisation on matters of political relevance;
- Elaborate documentation regarding the policies proposed and defended by the People's Youth;
- Develop new projects for the People's Youth.
The Universities of the People's Youth (Universidades JP), are also prepared and organized by the GEGB.
- van Biezen, Ingrid (2003). Political Parties in New Democracies: Party Organization in Southern and East-Central Europe. London: Palgrave Macmillan. p. 66. ISBN 978-1-4039-0307-5.
- (in Portuguese) People's Youth official website
- (in Portuguese) Gonçalo Begonha Studies Office official website
|This article about a Portuguese political party is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|