People's Bank of Zanzibar
|AbdulRahman M. Jumbe
Juma Ameir Hafidh
|Products||Loans, savings, checking, investments, debit cards, credit cards, mortgages|
|Revenue||Aftertax: TZS:4.931 billion (2013)|
|Total assets||TZS:321.25 billion (H1:2014)|
Number of employees
As of June 2014[update], PBZ was a medium-sized financial institution, with total assets of approximately TZS:321.35 billion. At that time, the bank's shareholders' equity was about TZS:29.6 billion. The bank employed 236 full-time staff as of 30 June 2014.
The bank was founded in 1966 by the government of Zanzibar. It functions as a retail bank, serving individuals, small and medium enterprises (SMEs), and large corporate clients. Initially, its service area was limited to the islands of Zanzibar and Pemba.
In December 2011, the bank launched an Islamic bank window, in addition to the conventional banking services that it offers.
PBZ is wholly owned by the government of Zanzibar.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
As of November 2014, PBZ maintained branches at the following locations:
- Malindi Branch - Near Ministry of Agriculture, Zanzibar Main Branch
- Chake Chake Branch - Chake-Chake, Pemba
- Forodhani Branch - Forodhani Park, Zanzibar
- Mwanakwerekwe Branch - Mwanakwerekwe, Zanzibar
- Mkoani Branch - Zanzibar Port Authority Building, Zanzibar
- Wete Branch - Ground Floor, Zanzibar Electricity Corporation Building, Zanzibar
- Mlandege Branch - Muzammil Building, Mlandege
- Kariakoo Branch - Opposite Kariakoo Main Market, Zanzibar
- Dar es Salaam Branch I - Mbagala, Dar es Salaam
- Tazara Branch - Dar es Salaam, Junction of TAZARA
- Mtwara Branch - Mtwara
- BOT. "Directory of Commercial Banks Operating In Tanzania". Dar es Salaam: Bank of Tanzania (BOT). Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- PBZ (11 August 2014). "Statement of Financial Position As At 30 June 2014" (PDF). Zanzibar City: People's Bank of Zanzibar (PBZ). Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- Tongo, Michelle (1 May 2012). "People's Bank of Zanzibar To Roll Out Mobile Money Transfers". ItNewsAfrica.Com. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Mbogo, Steve (21 December 2011). "Zanzibar's People's Bank Opens Islamic Window". TheIslamicGlobe.Com. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- PBZ (March 2012). "Audited 31 December 2011 Financial Report: Future Development Plans" (PDF). People's Bank of Zanzibar (PBZ). Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Philemon, Beatrice (13 November 2014). "People's Bank of Zanzibar Targets Dar es Salaam, Mtwara". Dar es Salaam: IPP Media. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Mugarula, Florence (9 August 2016). "Tanzania: Samia Hails PBZ Bank for Opening Up More On Tanzania Mainland". Tanzania Daily News via AllAfrica.com. Dar es Salaam. Retrieved 9 August 2016.