People ... Hold On
|People ... Hold On|
|Studio album by Eddie Kendricks|
|Producer||Frank Wilson, Leonard Caston Jr., Bobby Miller|
|Eddie Kendricks chronology|
People ... Hold On is the second album by former Temptations vocalist Eddie Kendricks. Released in the Spring of 1972 on the Tamla imprint of Motown Records, it was arranged by David Leacraft, David Van De Pitte and Leroy Fleming. The cover photography was by Weldon Arthur McDougal III.
It would prove to be his breakout album. "Girl You Need A Change of Mind" was one of the first disco/dance records. Years before the arrival of the 12-inch format, underground gay and black clubs would play tracks directly from the album. DJs from the East coast club scene & New Orleans began to spin "Girl You Need A Change of Mind" & "Date With The Rain." Album sales began to build rapidly especially in New York, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. Because of its length (7:33 min.), Motown released an edited version for radio. The album had been out for over 6 months before radio caught on. But it eventually rose to #13 R&B in the early months of 1973. Its success in the clubs would lay the groundwork for his upcoming #1 Pop & R&B smash, "Keep On Truckin'".
People...Hold On would solidify a solid solo career for Kendricks.
- "If You Let Me" (Frank Wilson) 3:10
- "Let Me Run Into Your Lonely Heart" (Anita Poree, Frank Wilson) 2:59
- "Day By Day" (Leonard Caston Jr., Terri McFaddin) 3:07
- "Girl You Need a Change of Mind" (Anita Poree, Leonard Caston Jr.) 7:30
- "Someday We'll Have a Better World" (Norma Toney) 3:35
- "My People...Hold On" (Anita Poree, Leonard Caston Jr.) 5:40
- "Date with the Rain" (Bobby Miller) 2:42
- "Eddie's Love" (Anita Poree, Leonard Caston Jr.) 3:20
- "I'm on the Sideline" (Penelope McClendon) 2:56
- "Just Memories" (Anita Poree, Leonard Caston Jr.) 5:50
- The Young Senators - rhythm
- Cal Harris - Moog synthesizer
- David Leacraft, David Van DePitte, Leroy Fleming - arrangements
|1972||People ... Hold On||131||13|
|"If You Let Me"||66||17||—|
|1973||"Girl You Need A Change Of Mind"||87||13||—|