People Are People (album)
|People Are People|
|Compilation album by Depeche Mode|
|Released||2 July 1984|
|Depeche Mode chronology|
People Are People is a Depeche Mode compilation album released in North America by Sire Records on 2 July 1984. Sire sensed it needed a new approach in its release policy since the band's 1983 effort Construction Time Again had failed to chart in the US.
Two of the nine tracks were new to the American audience: the latest single "People Are People" and "Now, This Is Fun", the B-side of the non-American 7" "See You". It was also the first time that the 7" versions of "Leave in Silence" and "Get the Balance Right!" were released in the United States. The album version of "Love, in Itself" was selected for this compilation, but with a "clean" ending, since on Construction Time Again the track fades into "More Than a Party".
The album was released in July 1984 to relatively little notice. It re-entered the charts and sold better, when the title track became a summer hit in 1985. The album later was certified Gold by the RIAA for shipments of half a million copies. Its success led to the release of yet another compilation album in late 1985: Catching Up with Depeche Mode.
The album was originally released on LP and CD with the band name and album name missing from the album cover. These names were then added to the covers for later re-releases.
|The Encyclopedia of Popular Music|||
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
|1.||"People Are People"||Some Great Reward||3:45|
|2.||"Now This Is Fun"||See You 7" B-Side||3:23|
|3.||"Love, in Itself"||Construction Time Again||4:21|
|4.||"Work Hard"||Everything Counts 7" B-Side||4:21|
|5.||"Told You So"||Construction Time Again||4:27|
|6.||"Get The Balance Right!"||Non-album single||3:13|
|7.||"Leave In Silence"||A Broken Frame||4:00|
|8.||"Pipeline"||Construction Time Again||6:10|
|9.||"Everything Counts (In Larger Amounts)"||Everything Counts 12"||7:20|
- All songs written by Martin Gore, except for 'Work Hard', written by Martin Gore and Alan Wilder.
- All songs sung by David Gahan, except 'Pipeline', sung by Martin Gore.
|Canada||2 July 1984|
- "depeche mode dot com". Depechemode.com. 1984-07-02. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- "DEPMOD · People Are People · Depeche Mode Discography". Depmod.com. 2011-03-24. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- "Billboard Hot 100 - August 3, 1985". Retrieved August 18, 2017.
- "RIAA – Searchable Database". Retrieved August 18, 2017.
- Raggett, Ned. Depeche Mode: People Are People > Review at AllMusic. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- Larkin, Colin (2011). The Encyclopedia of Popular Music (5th concise ed.). Omnibus Press.
- Sheffield, Rob (2004). "Depeche Mode". In Brackett, Nathan; Hoard, Christian. The New Rolling Stone Album Guide (4th ed.). Simon & Schuster. pp. 229–30. ISBN 0-7432-0169-8.