People Give In
|"People Give In"|
|Single by Manic Street Preachers|
|from the album Resistance Is Futile|
|Released||27 July 2018|
|Songwriter(s)||Nicky Wire, James Dean Bradfield, Sean Moore|
|Manic Street Preachers singles chronology|
Background and reception
As for the lyrics of the song Wire stated that: "One of the most open lyrics I’ve ever written. I wouldn’t exactly call it a rallying cry, it’s more about the idea that at least 80% of life is just really mundane so why don’t we all just lower our expectations and try to get to the other side as painlessly as possible. We’re all looking for universal panaceas all the time – if we expected a little less, we’d probably be happier The chorus is 'there is no theory of everything/no immaculate conception, no crime to forgive'. If you can’t do any good, do no harm - that’s my motto!" The single was released after a period where the band completed their tour and were asked to perform in Meltdown by The Cure's Robert Smith.
The song was well received with The Quietus saying that is a "is an acceptable statement of intent", while the NME said that the song is one where they "mourn for man growing tired, old, forgotten and being sold. But rather than collapsing under the weight of the sorrow of how 'there is no theory of everything', the band gloriously rise from the ashes – driven by their hardened will just to exist and grow stronger."
Manic Street Preachers
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||91|
- "WATCH: Manic Street Preachers drop video for 'People Give In'". Retrieved 2018-09-06.
- "Manic Street Preachers release new single, 'People Give In' - NME". NME. 2018-07-30. Retrieved 2018-09-06.
- "Manic Street Preachers Share New Single 'People Give In'". Retrieved 2018-09-06.
- "Reviews Manic Street Preachers Resistance Is Futile". Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- "Manic Street Preachers: This is your untruth…". Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 15 September 2018.