Pepe Escobar (born 1954) is a Brazilian journalist. He writes a column – The Roving Eye – for Asia Times Online, and works as an analyst for RT, Sputnik News, and Press TV as well as formerly for Al Jazeera.
Escobar has reported extensively from Afghanistan. In August 2000, Escobar and two other journalists were arrested by the Taliban, and accused of photographing a soccer match. The following year, he interviewed Ahmad Shah Masoud, the military leader of the anti-Taliban Northern Alliance, shortly before Masoud was assassinated.
On television, Escobar has commented on Russia's RT network, Iran's PressTV, and Qatar's Al Jazeera's The Stream. On radio, he has been a guest on Sibel Edmonds' Boiling Frogs Show, The Peter B. Collins Show, Anti-War Radio with Scott Horton, Mike Rivero's What Really Happened Show, Corbett Report, The Voice of Russia's Burning Point, and Ernest Hancock's FreedomPhoenix.com.
His article, "Get Osama! Now! Or else...", predicting US intervention in Afghanistan, was published by Asia Times Online two weeks before the terrorist attacks of 11 September 2001. An excerpted paragraph from his column THE ROVING EYE of August 30, 2001:
"Osama bin Laden – also the No 1 target of the CIA's counter-terrorism center – is now a superstar playing the bad guy in some sort of planetary Hollywood fiction. Yet inside Afghanistan today, where the Saudi Arabian lives in exile, Osama is a minor character. He is ill and always in hiding – usually "somewhere near Kabul". Once in a while he travels incognito to Peshawar. His organization, the Al Qa'Ida, is split, and in tatters. The Taliban owe him a lot for his past deeds towards the movement and in putting them in power in Afghanistan – contributing with a stack of his own personal fortune of millions of dollars. But no longer an asset, he has become a liability."
- Escobar, P. (2007), Globalistan: How the Globalized World is Dissolving into Liquid War, Nimble Books.
- Escobar, P. (2007), Red Zone Blues: A Snapshot of Baghdad During the Surge, Nimble Books.
- Escobar, P. (2009), Obama Does Globalistan, Nimble Books.
- Escobar, P. (2014), Empire of Chaos, Nimble Books.
- Escobar, P. (2015), 2030, Nimble Books.
- Escobar, P. (2016), 2030, suivi de Dialogues inactuels (Jorge Luis Borges), Éditions du Cercle.
- Al Jazeera bio and articles of Pepe Escobar
- Sharma, Dinesh and Gielen, Uwe, "About the Contributors", The Global Obama: Crossroads of Leadership in the 21st Century, Routledge 2013
- Dartnell, Michael York, Insurgency Online: Web Activism and Global Conflict, University of Toronto Press, 2006, p. 56
- Biography of Escobar at Asia Times
- "Get Osama! Now! Or else ..." www.atimes.com. August 30, 2001. Retrieved 2015-11-21.
- Manning, D. & Cotton, M. 2007, 'Embedded with Power: An interview with Pepe Escobar' (part 1, part 2), Mediabite, no date.
- The Real News Network
- The Roving Eye   (Asia Times Online)
- Pepe Escobar Articles at Counterpunch
- Pepe Escobar Articles at TomDispatch
- Pepe Escobar at RT
- Pepe Escobar at Sputnik News
- Pepe Escobar Travel Specials     (Asia Times Online)
- All no longer quiet on the Afghan front
- Kabul Diary
- Iraq Diary
- Iran Diary