|Country of origin||Italy|
|Egg color||Pinkish brown|
The Pépoi or Pepoi is a rustic dual-purpose breed of small chicken from north-eastern Italy, particularly the Veneto and Friuli-Venezia Giulia regions. It is not officially recognised as a breed in Italy, but is being considered for recognition.
The Pépoi is a traditional farmhouse breed of north-eastern Italy, and of Friuli-Venezia Giulia and the north-eastern part of the Veneto in particular. It is one of the few dwarf breeds in Italy, others being the Mericanel della Brianza and the Mugellese.
Together with the Ermellinata di Rovigo, the Robusta Lionata, the Robusta Maculata and the Padovana, the Pépoi is one of the five chicken breeds included in the CO.VA. project of Veneto Agricultura, the regional administration for agriculture of the Veneto. The project includes among its aims the conservation of local avian species of limited distribution, and the conservation of genetic resources and biodiversity, and has published a detailed description of the breed.
In early 2012, the Pépoi was not officially recognised by the Federazione Italiana Associazioni Avicole, but was under consideration. Critics have suggested that the characteristics of the Pépoi are too variable for it to be considered a breed.
Breed numbers remain low. A study published in 2007 used a figure of approximately 550 for the total breeding stock, of which approximately 50 were cocks.
The colouring of the Pépoi is golden (partridge). The skin and legs are yellow. Average weight is 1.3–1.5 kg (2.9–3.3 lb) for cocks, 1.0–1.1 kg (2.2–2.4 lb) for hens.
The Pépoi is a dual-purpose breed. Hens lay 160–180 eggs per year. In meat production, birds reach a weight of 600–700 g in four months, and are suitable as a single portion or for the spit. The meat is well-flavoured.
- Progetto CO.VA. – Interventi per la Conservazione e la Valorizzazione di razze avicole locali Venete: Pépoi (in Italian) Veneto Agricoltura: Azienda Regionale per i settori Agricolo, Forestale e Agro-Alimentare. Accessed January 2012. "CO.VA. project – measures for the conservation and promotion of local avian breeds of the Veneto: Pépoi".
- Comitato Tecnico Scientifico (in Italian) Federazione Italiana Associazioni Avicole. Accessed January 2012. "Scientific and Technical Committee".
- Zanon, Alessio Pepoi (in Italian) Il Pollaio del Re. Accessed January 2012.
- Spalona, A.; H. Ranvig, K. Cywa-Benko, A. Zanon, A. Sabbioni, I. Szalay, J. Benková, J. Baumgartner and T. Szwaczkowski (2007) Population size in conservation of local chicken breeds in chosen European countries – Populationsgrößen in Erhaltungszuchtprogrammen für einheimische Hühnerrassen in ausgewählten Ländern Europas Archiv für Geflügelkunde 71 (2). pp.49–55. Stuttgart: Eugen Ulmer. ISSN 0003-9098
- Atlante delle razze di Polli - Razze italiane: Pepoi (in Italian) Accessed January 2012. "Atlas of chicken breeds - Italian breeds: Pepoi".