|Current status/schedule||Active; irregular publication schedule|
|Launch date||10 May 2014|
Pepper&Carrot is an open source webcomic series by French artist David Revoy. The series consists of small episodes about teenage witch Pepper and her cat Carrot. With its translations into 40 different languages and violence free stories it aims to be accessible for everyone.
License and derivations
This section relies too much on references to primary sources. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In 2016 French publisher Glénat added a bundle with episodes 1 through 11 to their catalog, to print and distribute the comic in France. Revoy was consulted to ensure the colours and quality of the print are as he envisioned it. The publication has no effect on the license of the webcomic. In April 2017 the second volume of the book, including the episodes 12 to 21, was published by Glénat. There is also a printed version of the Bretonic version of the first ten episodes by publisher Ar Gripi, as well as a German printed version by publisher Popcom.
In 2016, the Morevna team started a crowdfunding campaign for a motion comic version of episode 6. The animation was done based on the original source files with free software like Krita, Blender, Papagayo-NG and RenderChan. The film was released in June 2017 under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license. Revoy was not associated with the production, but appreciated the project.
List of episodes
Revoy aimed to release a new episode approximately once every month, but has not been able to do so.
|No.||Title||Original title||Release date||Number of patrons|
|1||The Potion of Flight||Potion d'envol||2014-05-10||0|
|2||Rainbow Potions||Les potions arc-en-ciel||2014-07-25||21|
|3||The Secret Ingredients||L'ingrédient secret||2014-10-03||93|
|4||Stroke of Genius||Éclair de génie||2014-11-21||156|
|5||Special holiday episode||Épisode spécial de Noël||2014-12-19||170|
|6||The Potion Contest||Le concours de potion||2015-03-28||245|
|7||The Wish||Le souhait||2015-04-30||245|
|8||Pepper's Birthday Party||L'anniversaire de Pepper||2015-06-28||354|
|9||The Remedy||Le remède||2015-07-31||406|
|10||Summer Special||Spécial été||2015-08-29||422|
|11||The Witches of Chaosah||Les sorcières de Chaosah||2015-09-30||502|
|12||Autumn Clearout||Rangement d'Automne||2015-10-31||575|
|13||The Pyjama Party||La Soirée Pyjama||2015-12-08||602|
|14||The Dragon's Tooth||La Dent de Dragon||2016-01-29||671|
|15||The Crystal Ball||La Boule de Cristal||2016-03-25||686|
|16||The Sage of the Mountain||Le Sage de la Montagne||2016-04-30||671|
|17||A Fresh Start||Un Nouveau Départ||2016-06-30||719|
|18||The Encounter||La Rencontre||2016-08-05||720|
|20||The Picnic||Le Pique-nique||2016-12-17||825|
|21||The Magic Contest||Le Concours de Magie||2017-02-23||816|
|22||The Voting System||Le système de vote||2017-05-30||864|
|23||Take a Chance||Saisir la chance||2017-08-10||879|
|24||The Unity Tree||L'Arbre de l'unité||2017-12-15||810|
|25||There Are No Shortcuts||Il n'y a pas de raccourcis||2018-05-17||909|
|26||Books Are Great||Les livres, c'est génial||2018-07-28||1,098|
|27||Coriander's Invention||L'invention de Coriandre||2018-10-31||1,060|
|28||The Festivities||Les Festivités||2019-01-24||960|
|29||Destroyer of Worlds||Le Destructeur de Mondes||2019-04-25||960|
|30||Need a Hug||Besoin d'un Calin||2019-09-03||973|
Revoy aims to change the comic book industry by eliminating intermediate steps in the production process. Though Pepper&Carrot is free, he encourages people to support him on the Patreon crowdfunding platform, in the form a small amount of money per episode that is released. Patreon takes a commission of 5% (8% for users registered after June 2019), in addition to any credit card fees. This is significantly less than a traditional chain where the publisher, distributors and retailers each claim a part of the profit. Patrons – people donating monthly some amount on Patreon to Pepper&Carrot – are named on the bottom of the comics. As of May 2019, 816 people donate a total of US$2,939 per month, allowing David Revoy to work full time on Pepper&Carrot.
Loyalist Games created a board game based on episode 6 of the comic. Just like the webcomic the game is available under a free license, and its rulebook has instructions in English, Dutch, French and Spanish.
- Revoy, David. "Philosophy - Pepper&Carrot". Archived from the original on 10 October 2015. Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- "Pepper & Carrot - red tabula". red tabula. Archived from the original on 10 October 2015. Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- Brown, Paul (28 May 2016). "Free Software Artists and their Tools — Part I: David Revoy & Krita". OCS Mag. Archived from the original on 29 May 2016. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- Moeller, Erik (17 July 2015). "The case of the witch and her cat: crowdfunding free culture - Creative Commons blog". Archived from the original on 5 September 2015. Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- Revoy, David. "How to add a translation or a correction - Pepper&Carrot". Archived from the original on 10 October 2015. Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- Revoy, David. "Answer to: How your webcomic can be Free/Libre and Open-Source?". David Revoy. Retrieved 8 June 2019.
- Revoy, David. "The Witches of Chaosah - Pepper&Carrot". Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- "Sources - Pepper&Carrot". Pepper&Carrot. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- Revoy, David. "Derivation: publishing by Glénat - Pepper&Carrot". Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Glénat Éditions. "Pepper et Carrot - Tome 1". Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Revoy, David. "Second book printed by Glénat". Pepper&Carrot. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- Revoy, David. "Breton publishing by Ar Gripi". Pepper&Carrot. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "PEPPER & CARROT – Kleine Hexe mit frecher Katze! – Comic.de". www.comic.de (in German). Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- David, Revoy. "Motion Comic project". peppercarrot.com. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- Revoy, David. "Endless Runner Game by WinterLicht". Pepper&Carrot. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- Revoy, David. "Video Game Chaosah Balls by Xuan Minh PHAM". Pepper&Carrot. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- Revoy, David. "Shoot-em-up by Akari (WIP)". Pepper&Carrot. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- Revoy, David. "Retro platformer by Surt (WIP)". Pepper&Carrot. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- The respective comic pages on www.peppercarrot.com
- "Patreon Help Center". Patreon. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- "David Revoy is creating Pepper&Carrot, an open-source webcomic". Patreon. Retrieved 16 May 2019.
- Revoy, David (7 July 2017). "Pepper&Carrot derivation: a Board Game by Loyalist Games". David Revoy. Retrieved 20 April 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pepper&Carrot.|