|• Mayor||Saimir Hasalla (PDIU)|
|• Municipality||197.79 km2 (76.37 sq mi)|
|• Administrative Unit||17 km2 (7 sq mi)|
|Elevation||48 m (157 ft)|
|• Municipality density||130/km2 (340/sq mi)|
|• Administrative Unit||6,353|
|• Administrative Unit density||370/km2 (970/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Peqin (IPA: [pecin], definite Albanian form: Peqini, Turkish: Peklin, in history named Clodiana) is a town and municipality in Elbasan County, central Albania. The municipality was formed at the 2015 local government reform by the merger of the former municipalities Gjoçaj, Karinë, Pajovë, Peqin, Përparim and Shezë, that became municipal units. The seat of the municipality is the town Peqin. The total population is 26,136 (2011 census), in a total area of 197.79 km2. The population of the former municipality at the 2011 census was 6,353.
The city dates back 2000 years, it is mentioned as Illyrian fortress. The ancient name of Peqin was Clodiana. The city's modern name derives from the Ottoman form Bekleyin, which means a place of hospitality. During Ottoman rule Peqin belonged to the Sanjak of Elbasan. The Ottoman Peqin Castle still exists, along with some original parts of the mosque of Abdurrahman Pasha, who had been the governor of Wallachia and Moldavia (former Bogdania). This castle was also constructed during the Via Egnatia road being made. On the Via Egnatia road Peqin was another stop on the road and a settlement for soldiers and there where Pashas in the castle. The last remaining resident in the castle was Demir Pasha.
There are buses available at the center of the city to take you to many places in and out of Albania.
- Abdurrahman Pasha, former governor of Wallachia and Moldavia within Ottoman Empire
- Bujar Cani, Football Player, National Team of Albania
- Ferdinand Deda, Music Director
- Murat Manahasa, Veterinary researcher and professor
- Mustafa Gjinishi, activist during National Liberation War
- Demir Godelli, communist leader, responsible of Comintern during World War II in Albania
- Hekuran Isai, post World War II communist politician
- Gugash Magani, Football Player, Football Manager
- Rifat Teqja, Music Director
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peqin.|
- Law nr. 115/2014 Archived 2015-09-24 at the Wayback Machine.
- Interactive map administrative territorial reform
- 2011 census results Archived 2015-09-24 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Blue Albania - We help you to explore Albania... - Portali me i madh turistik Shqiptar". BlueAlbania. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- "Presidenti Topi ngushellon familjaret e Profesor Murat Manahases (in Albanian)". news.al. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
|This article about a specific location in Elbasan County, Albania, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|