Pequannock Township High School
|Pequannock Township High School|
|85 Sunset Road
Pompton Plains, NJ 07444
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Promoting Growth Through Education|
|School district||Pequannock Township School District|
|Principal||Dr. Alicia Scelso|
|Assistant Principal||Jennifer Mildner|
|Assistant Principal/Athletic Director||Michael Bouroult|
|Enrollment||737 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.9:1|
Navy Blue and|
|Athletics conference||Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference|
|Team name||Golden Panthers|
Pequannock Township High School, established in 1956, is a four-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from Pequannock Township in Morris County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the Pequannock Township School District.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 737 students and 61.8 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.9:1. There were 29 students (3.9% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 13 (1.8% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Advanced Placement (AP) courses are offered in AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Chemistry, AP English Literature and Composition, AP European History, AP Latin: Vergil, AP Music Theory, AP Physics B, AP Spanish Language, AP Studio Art, AP United States History, AP United States Government and Politics and AP World History. Honors courses are also available for students. These include Honors Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geometry, Algebra II, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, English I, English II, English III, English IV, World History, US History I, US History II and many others.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 29th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 25th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 46th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 100th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 78th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
Schooldigger.com ranked the school tied for 31st out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 16 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (94.1%) and language arts literacy (97.9%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
In its listing of "America's Best High Schools 2016", the school was ranked 237th out of 500 best high schools in the country; it was ranked 40th among all high schools in New Jersey and 23rd among the state's non-magnet schools.
Out of the 175-student Class of 2005, there were ten Edward J. Bloustein Distinguished Scholars, two National Merit Scholarship Program Commended Students and 38 recipients of the President's Education Award.
The Pequannock Township High School Golden Panthers compete in the Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference, an athletic conference consisting of private and public high schools located in Morris, Sussex and Warren counties in Northwestern New Jersey, operating under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 536 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as North I, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 495 to 762 students in that grade range. Prior to the NJSIAA's 2009 realignment, the school had participated in the Suburban Division of the Northern Hills Conference.
Sports offered at the school include:
The field hockey team won the North II Group II state sectional championship in 1976, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1986 and 1989, and won the North I Group II title in 2001 and 2003; the team won the Group II state championship in 1983 and 1985.
The wrestling team won the North II Group II state sectional title in 1984, 2000 and 2003, the North II Group I title in 1995 and the North I Group I title in 2005.
The football team won the North II Group II state sectional championship in 1999 and 2000.
The golf team won the 2014 NJSIAA Group II state title.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Dr. Alicia Scelso - Principal
- Jennifer Mildner - Vice Principal
- Michael Bouroult - Assistant Principal / Athletic Director
- School data for Pequannock Township High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Pequannock Township High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 15, 2015.
- Pequannock Township High School 2013-14 School Performance Report, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed March 29, 2015.
- "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed August 28, 2012.
- "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 25, 2012.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed February 26, 2012.
- "Pequannock Township High School Overview", U.S. News & World Report, April 21, 2014. Accessed April 22, 2014.
- "America's Best High Schools 2016", Newsweek. Accessed November 11, 2016.
- Janoski, Steve. "Pequannock teacher gets an A grade for teaching AP calculus", Suburban Trends, September 2, 2013. Accessed September 30, 2016.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed September 8, 2014.
- Home Page, Northern Hills Conference, backed up by the Internet Archive as of January 28, 2011. Accessed December 15, 2014.
- Pequannock Baseball
- History of the NJSIAA Field Hockey Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 16, 2017.
- History of the NJSIAA Team Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 16, 2017.
- History of the NJSIAA Baseball Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 15, 2015.
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 19, 2015.
- School Profile, Pequannock Township High School. Accessed June 1, 2016.
- Pequannock Township High School
- Pequannock Township School District
- Pequannock Township School District's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Pequannock Township School District, National Center for Education Statistics