Per Carlqvist (born July 25, 1938 in Stockholm, Sweden) is a Swedish plasma physicist with an interest in astrophysical applications. In 1963, he received the degree of civilingenjör from the Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, in 1970 the Tekn. lic., and in 1980 the Tekn. D.
He is currently affiliated with the Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, at the School of Electrical Engineering in the department of Space & Plasma Physics.
The Carlqvist Relation
Carlqvist lends his name to the "Carlqvist Relation", a formula used in plasma physics to describe how an electrically conducting plasma filament is compressed by magnetic forces to form a "plasma pinch". Carlqvist noted that by using his relation, and a derivative, it is possible to describe the Bennett pinch, the Jeans criterion (for gravitational instability, in one and two dimensions), force-free magnetic fields, gravitationally balanced magnetic pressures, and continuous transitions between these states.
- Biographical information from: Carlqvist, Per; Gahm, Gosta F., "Manifestations of electric currents in interstellar molecular cloud" (1992) IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science (ISSN 0093-3813), vol. 20, no. 6, p. 867-873.
- Web page of Per Calqvist
- Gerrit L. Verschuur, "Interstellar neutral hydrogen filaments at high galactic latitudes and the bennett pinch" (1995) Volume 227, Numbers 1-2 / May, 1995
- J. H. Jeans, "The stability of a spherical nebula" Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A 199 (1902)
- Carlqvist, Per, "Cosmic electric currents and the generalized Bennett relation" (1988) Astrophysics and Space Science (ISSN 0004-640X), vol. 144, no. 1-2, May 1988, p. 73-84
- Articles on NASA Astrophysics Data System (ADS) by Per Carlqvist