Per Se (restaurant)
The main dining room, February 2008
|Current owner(s)||Thomas Keller|
|Head chef||Thomas Keller|
|Food type||New American, French|
|Dress code||Jackets required|
|Street address||4th floor of the Time Warner Center at 10 Columbus Circle (at Eighth Avenue and Broadway)) in Manhattan|
|City||New York City|
|Other information||$340 prix fixe|
Per Se is a New American and French restaurant located on the fourth floor of the Time Warner Center at 10 Columbus Circle (at Eighth Avenue and Broadway) in Manhattan in New York City, owned by chef Thomas Keller. The Chef de Cuisine is Corey Chow.
Thomas Keller opened Per Se in February 2004. Keller also owns The French Laundry and Ad Hoc in Napa Valley; Bouchon in Napa Valley, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles; and Bouchon Bakery in Napa Valley and the Time Warner Center and Rockefeller Center in New York.
Keller chose restaurant/hotel designer Adam Tihany to draw together subtle references to The French Laundry and elements from both his and Keller's pasts; for example, the decorative blue door at the main entrance is modeled after the blue door at The French Laundry.
Per Se was awarded three stars ("Exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey") in the 2006 inaugural Michelin Guide to New York City, and has maintained that rating every year to date.
Since 2013, Per Se has been a recipient of the Wine Spectator Grand Award. It made the La Liste Top Ten (#2), and was recognized by L'Art et Manière for Outstanding Service in 2016. It has been awarded five stars (highest rating) by the Forbes Travel Guide annually since 2005.
In recent years, Per Se has been criticized as pretentious and dated. In 2015, Tanya Gold wrote, “...generally, the food is so overtended and overdressed I am amazed it has not developed the ability to scream in your face, walk off by itself, and sulk in its room.” In 2016, critic Pete Wells downgraded the restaurant's rating to two stars, writing "With each fresh review, a restaurant has to earn its stars again. In its current form and at its current price, Per Se struggled and failed to do this, ranging from respectably dull at best to disappointingly flat-footed at worst."
- "Per Se | Manhattan | Restaurant Menus and Reviews". Zagat. Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- "Today's Menus - Thomas Keller Restaurant Group". www.thomaskeller.com. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- "The 50 Best Restaurants in NYC - Zagat". www.zagat.com. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- "Wine Spectator Restaurant Awards". Wine Spectator. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- BEDDOU, Yasmina. "2015 EDITION FROM LA LISTE, THE LEADING INTERNATIONAL RESTAURANT RANKING". United States Press Agency News. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- "Per Se - New York City Restaurants - New York City, US - Forbes Travel Guide". Forbes Travel Guide. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- Sifton, Sam (October 11, 2011). "A Critic Selects a Last Meal". The New York Times. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- Gold, Tanya (September 2015). "A Goose in a Dress". Harper's Magazine. ISSN 0017-789X. Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- Wells, Pete (January 12, 2016). "At Thomas Keller's Per Se, Slips and Stumbles". The New York Times.