This article possibly contains original research. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Type||Second Grade Municipality|
|• Body||Perambalur Municipality|
|Elevation||143 m (469 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Perambalur is a municipality town in the state of Tamil Nadu (Republic of India). It is the administrative headquarters of Perambalur district and Perambalur Taluk (Sub-District). Perambalur is the central town of Tamil Nadu. Perambalur district is bounded on the North by Cuddalore and Salem, South by Trichy, East by Ariyalur, West by Trichy and Salem. As of 2011[update] census, the town had a population of 49,648. There are a set of 11th century Buddhists images around the villages of Perambalur called Perambalur Buddhas.
The town covers an area of 20.59 square kilometres.
According to 2011 census, Perambalur had a population of 49,648 with a sex-ratio of 1,013 females for every 1,000 males, much above the national average of 929. A total of 5,190 were under the age of six, constituting 2,678 males and 2,512 females. Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes accounted for 29.43% and .29% of the population respectively. The average literacy of the town was 80.77%, compared to the national average of 72.99%. The town had a total of 12732 households. There were a total of 18,430 workers, comprising 998 cultivators, 1,746 main agricultural labourers, 364 in house hold industries, 13,762 other workers, 1,560 marginal workers, 49 marginal cultivators, 390 marginal agricultural labourers, 78 marginal workers in household industries and 1,043 other marginal workers. As per the religious census of 2011, Perambalur had 86.94% Hindus, 9.29% Muslims, 3.6% Christians, 0.01% Sikhs, 0.01% Buddhists, 0.0% Jains, 0.12% following other religions and 0.03% following no religion or did not indicate any religious preference.
Perambalur's Member of Parliament (MP) at the Lok Sabha is Mr.Marutharaj of AIADMK,who has represented Perambalur Lok Sabha constituency since the Indian general election in Tamil Nadu (2014). Prior to this the seat, it was held by nepoliean who is from DMK, Perambalur's Member of Legislative Assembly (MLA) at the State Assembly is with All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (ADMK).
- "Perambalur Municipality - About Municipality". Retrieved 1 March 2012.<"Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-09. Retrieved 2015-04-19.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)>
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals - Perambalur(05783)". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Population By Religious Community - Tamil Nadu" (XLS). Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2011. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies" (PDF). Election Commission of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 4, 2006. Retrieved 2008-10-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Perambalur.|