Western barred bandicoot
|Western barred bandicoot|
|Western Barred Bandicoot range|
The western barred bandicoot (Perameles bougainville), also known as the marl, is a small species of bandicoot found in Australia. It was once widespread across southern Australia from Western Australia to central New South Wales, but it is now found on Bernier, Dorre and Faure islands in Shark Bay, Western Australia, and in captive populations on the mainland including at Barna Mia in Dryandra Woodland.
The western barred bandicoot is much smaller than its relative the eastern barred bandicoot (Perameles gunnii), and is darker in its colouring, which is a grizzled brown. It measures about 1.5 feet (46 cm) in length. It has two "bars" across its rump and has a short, tapered tail. It is a solitary and crepuscular hunter, eating insects, spiders, and worms and occasionally tubers and roots. When the bandicoot feels threatened, it typically leaps into the air and then burrows to safety.
This species is currently being re-introduced to nearby mainland areas of Western Australia, where predators such as the red fox are the subject of control programs. It has also been successfully reintroduced into the Arid Recovery Reserve at Roxby Downs in South Australia.
- Groves, C.P. (2005). "Order Peramelemorphia". In Wilson, D.E.; Reeder, D.M. Mammal Species of the World: A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference (3rd ed.). Johns Hopkins University Press. p. 39. ISBN 978-0-8018-8221-0. OCLC 62265494.
- Friend, T. & Richards, J. (2008). "Perameles bougainville". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2008. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 28 December 2008. Database entry includes justification for why this species is listed as endangered
- Menkhorst, Peter (2001). A Field Guide to the Mammals of Australia. Oxford University Press. p. 78. ISBN 9780195508703.
- Flannery, Tim (2005). Country: A Continent, a Scientist & a Kangaroo. ISBN 1-920885-76-5.
- Ellis, Richard (2004). No Turning Back: The Life and Death of Animal Species. New York: Harper Perennial. p. 226. ISBN 0-06-055804-0.
- Data related to Perameles bougainville at Wikispecies
- Media related to Perameles bougainville at Wikimedia Commons
- ARKive on Western Barred Bandicoot
- Arid Recovery
- Australianfauna.com on Western Barred Bandicoot
|This article about a marsupial is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Western Australia article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|