Percy Herbert (bishop)
Percy Mark Herbert KCVO (24 April 1885 – 22 January 1968) was the first Bishop of Blackburn from 1927 then Bishop of Norwich from 1942 to 1959. He was also a Doctor of Divinity. He was the Clerk of the Closet from 1942–63. An active Freemason, he was Provincial Grand Master for Norfolk.
Percy was the son of Major-General the Honourable William Henry Herbert (himself the son of Edward Clive, 2nd Earl of Powis) and his wife Sybella (nee Milbank). Educated at Rugby and Trinity College, Cambridge, he was ordained in 1909. After a period as Chaplain to his old school he was appointed Vicar of St George's, Camberwell, and Warden of the Trinity Cambridge Mission until 1922, additionally serving as Rural Dean of the area from 1918.
In 1921 he was also appointed Bishop of Kingston. Further appointments followed, and after retiring from his post as Bishop of Norwich, Herbert became Rector of St Mary Magdalene's Church in Sandringham. It was at that church in 1961 where he baptised the Honourable Diana Spencer (later Princess of Wales). He was appointed Clerk of the Closet from 1942 to 1963.
Above all "a pastoral bishop", he died at the Royal Masonic Hospital in London, aged 82. On 19 September 1922, he had married Hon. Elaine Orde-Powlett, daughter of William Orde-Powlett, 5th Baron Bolton and they had four children:
- Court Circular (Court and Social) His Majesty today received a new diocesan bishop... The Times Thursday, 17 February 1927; p. 17; Issue 44508; col B to 1942
- Court Circular (Court and Social) The King today received the Bishop Designate of Norwich..... The Times Wednesday, 3 June 1942; p. 7; Issue 49252; col B
- The Times, Wednesday, Aug 06, 1952; pg. 6; Issue 52383; col C Her Majesty's Household Appointments Gazetted Category: Official Appointments and Notices
- Details and photograph Archived 2011-06-03 at the Wayback Machine. at the Provincial Grand Lodge website.
- “Who was Who” 1897-2007 London, A & C Black, 2007 ISBN 978-0-19-954087-7
- New Suffragan Bishop. (Official Appointments and Notices) The Times Monday, 12 December 1921; p. 10; Issue 42901; col F
- The Rt Rev P. M. Herbert (Obituaries) The Times Tuesday, 23 January 1968; p. 10; Issue 57156; col G
- Marriages (Marriages) Herbert-Orde-Powlett The Times Tuesday, 12 September 1922; p. 13; Issue 43134; col C
- George William Herbert, 7th Earl of Powis (1925–1993); David Mark Herbert (b. 1927), editor and author; and Elizabeth Barbarina Herbert (b. 1928), married Major Hubert Holden and had issue/Andrew Clive Herbert (b. 1933), film director, editor and producer 
|Church of England titles|
Samuel Mumford Taylor
| Bishop of Kingston
Frederick Ochterloney Taylor Hawkes
| Bishop of Blackburn
Wilfred Marcus Askwith
| Clerk of the Closet
Roger Plumpton Wilson
| Bishop of Norwich