Percy Stafford Allen
Percy Stafford Allen (July 7, 1869 – June 16, 1933) was a British classical scholar, best known for his writings on Erasmus.
Percy Stafford Allen - born 7 Jul 1869 in Twickenham, Middlesex, England, ( son of Joseph ALLEN 1825-1901 & Mary Mason SATOW 1842-1892 ) he received his early education in Rottingdean. From 1882, he studied Latin and Greek at Clifton College and after 1888 at Corpus Christi College, Oxford. One of his Oxford tutors was the historian and biographer James Anthony Froude In 1892 he received his BA, and his MA in 1896.
From 1897 to 1901 he taught history at Government College in Lahore, British India (modern Pakistan). He returned to Oxford in 1908 as a Fellow of Merton College, Oxford. From 1924 to 1933 he was president of Corpus Christi College. In 1928 he became a foreign member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences.
He was married in 1898 to Helen Mary Allen (1872–1952) daughter of Arthur John ALLEN & Margaret Agneta SATOW
Allen is best known as the editor of the complete letters of Erasmus of Rotterdam, a twelve volume work. Among other writings, he also published The Age of Erasmus: Lectures delivered in the University of Oxford and London (1914) and Letters of Richard Fox 1486-1527(1929).
- The age of Erasmus. Lectures delivered in the University of Oxford and London, Oxford, 1914.
- Letters of Richard Fox 1486-1527, Oxford 1929. (éditeur)
- Erasmus. Lectures and wayfaring sketches, Oxford, 1934.
- Opus epistolarum Des. Erasmi Roterodami : denuo recognitum et auctum, Percy Stafford Allen, Helen Mary Allen and Heathcote William Garrod. Compendium vitae P.S. Allen addidit H.W. Garrod. Indices (T. XII) compilavit Barbara Flower; perfecit et edidit Elisabeth Rosenbaum, Oxford, éd. Clarendon, 1906–1958, 12 vol. in 8°:
- Vol. I : 1484-1514, XXIV + 615 p. (1906)
- Vol. II : 1514-1517, XX + 603 p. (1910)
- Vol. III : 1517-1519, XXXI + 634 p. (1913)
- Vol. IV : 1519-1521, XXXII + 632 p. (1922)
- Vol. V : 1522-1524, XXIII + 631 p. (1924)
- Vol. VI : 1525-1527, XXV + 518 p. (1926)
- Vol. VII : 1527-1528, XXIII + 558 p. (1928)
- Vol. VIII : 1529-1530, XLIV + 515 p. (1934)
- Vol. IX : 1530-1532, XXIII + 497 p. (1938)
- Vol. X : 1532-1534, XXIV + 440 p. (1941)
- Vol. XI : 1534-1536, XXVII + 400 p. (1947)
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:
Percy Stafford Allen
- Works by Percy Stafford Allen at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Percy Stafford Allen at Internet Archive